Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2, Movie Review


Rating: 3 stars out of 5 stars.

Breaking Dawn Part 2 takes off right where Part 1 ended with Bella coping with being a newborn vampire.  Insanity ensues as she tries to control her blood lust!  Will she drink the blood of a random, grazing deer, or go after that mountain climber who has slipped and has a blood gushing wound?  Then there is the issue of Bella and Edwards unnatural child.  What is she?  A tantrum throwing, reckless immortal child who kills entire villages when crying rages escalate?  Or something a whole lot more tame . . . though not as exciting? And is there, or isn't there, going to be an epic battle scene at the end of the film?  The series has been prepping for one after all. These are some of the important questions this movie sets out to answer.

I like Wikipedia's plot outline of this second Breaking Dawn movie: "After the birth of Renesmee, the Cullens gather other vampire covens in order to protect their child from a false allegation that puts the family in front of the Volturi." Pretty much sums it up.

The movie that came before this, Breaking Dawn Part 1 (both movies are based on the last book in Stephenie Meyers Twilight saga), would have been rated a 0.5 half-star out of 5 stars.  Why?  Because I'm nice.  Many parts of that movie had me thinking, "if I did drugs, this is probably what it would feel like."  

Then there is the issue of that CGI baby.  Spoiler, the baby in the beginning of the movie isn't real . . . and it creeped me out.

Honestly, there were aspects of this film I did like.  This last movie had to introduce a lot of characters in a short time, and we then had to care about them.  The Cullen's travel the world gathering witnesses in hopes of proving to the Volturi that Renesmee is not to be feared.  And so we get to see how Vampires live in other parts of the world (if you like house hunters international you'll love this segment).  The film was successful in the introduction of these new characters, and I quickly grew to like many of these new vampires more then the ones we've been getting to know these last 4 movies. 

Would I recommend this movie? Only if you're a fan of the series, or have been watching the movies and want to see how it ends.  I was curious, my curiosity was satisfied, and now I will never see another Twilight movie again.

. . . CGI baby . . .

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for sequences of violence including disturbing images, some sensuality and partial nudity.  It should be noted, and (Spoiler) there is a final fight scene, that my Mom and I looked at each other and were amazed by what is getting a PG-13 rating these days.  She felt the movie honestly should have gotten an R rating for the style of deaths used (Vampires die via decapitation).  When director Bill Condon showed the MPAA board scenes from the movie 6 months before release, they actually gave the film a provisional R rating.  

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! You made me laugh! The CGI baby IS creepy. I haven't seen the second half, yet, but I will, just so I can say I finished them. Like how I waded through the insipid 4th book in the series...just so I could say I finished it. That, and I'm OCD and I can't NOT finish a book, unless it is highly objectionable content-wise. Just because a book is stupid and unbelievable and disappointing doesn't mean you shouldn't finish the stupid thing. Right???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, just so you know that creepy CGI baby gets a lot of screen time in Part 2. I haven't read the books for that one reason . . . I didn't want to feel that need to "see how it ends!"

      Delete
  2. yeah, i enjoyed the Twilight movie~ XD

    Regards,
    http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. You've got a great blog :0) I'm glad you liked the movie.

      Delete