Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sampling Orange Juice and T.V. Pilots

(Sampling Juice Product Testing)

While in Las Vegas my Mom and I wandered into the Miracle Mile Shops in Las Vegas.  It was there we were approached and asked if we wanted to see a TV Pilot, and that we would get paid about $10 for it.  What the show was about had to be kept from us, so it was a risk.

April is pilot season in Hollywood, where every star or would be star compete for the chance to be in the Fall's next big show.  But first comes the pilot, and after the pilot is filmed it's sent out to test audience, where studios gauge whether a show has future potential or audience.

The room was full when we got to the back room, so we waited for the next slot and tried orange juices (observing the juices color and taste), and earned a Barnes & Nobles gift card in the process.

Then we got to watch the show.  The working title of the pilot was Happy Valley, and stared Freddie Prince Jr, Sarah Wright, and Joanna Kerns.  Happy Valley has nothing to do with Utah County, where I live is nicknamed Happy Valley, but a pharmaceutical company that tests drugs, and the ongoing meanderings inside . . . and the shrink loony bin where workers who are stressed talk about their problems and pet kittens.

It was bad, an insult to my intelligence, and very vulgar, which is not funny, but degrading.  My opinions were all written down, and I kept my dial around the zero mark almost the entire episode.  Last I heard the show was not picked up by NBC, and I'm quite glad for that.

What's happened to good quality TV?  There's Once Upon a Time, but good, quality shows are scarce, and overrun by reality television.  At least the classics are on DVD and Netfilcks.

Anyway, it seems all the good shows are being produced in British Columbia; I wonder if it's because it's more affordable. 

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment