Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My Wild Experiment! Testing Water PH


I love experimenting and figuring things out.  And as you can see here I can, on occasion, get a little carried away.  I was having fun making notes 
and taking pictures.

A couple months ago I was listening to a program about the PH in both our bodies and in water. I'm not  quite sure where the science stands on the issue, I've read so many contrasting viewpoints, but being a waterholic (water is pretty much the only liquid I drink), I was surprised when I realized the water I drink is actually quite acidic.

I drink a lot of water.  A lot!  As in well about the typical 64 oz.  A PH of 7 is standard in water with everything above 7 being Alkaline, and anything below considered acidic.  With some preliminary testing I discovered that I prefer the taste of acidic water, and actually don't like the taste of alkaline.  But, because I drink so much acidic water (my home filtered water and dasani), I can easily down 20 oz in a couple minutes and still feel thirsty, and that's with drinking water throughout the day.  Something's not right with that.  In short the water I'm drinking 
isn't quenching my thirst.

For this test I used three different testers and tested four types of water: Tap water, our in house filtered tap water, 6 drops of pHion booster in 8 oz of water, and 3 drops of pHion booster in 8 oz.


I got the pHion booster drops, because bottled water with natural PH (Arrowhead and Fiji Water) adds up cost wise, and though our tap water has natural PH, I don't like drinking hard water.  The instructions on the drops say to add 6 drops of each bottle to 8 oz of water, but I honestly don't like the taste of the drops, and I don't really care if the PH is around 9.5-10.  I just want to drink water with a PH of 7-8, the
 way nature intended.


The first test was with the strips pHion sent me through the mail.  You can go online and special request them.  It took only a few days.


Results:
Tap = PH 8.5
Filtered = PH 6.5
3 pHion drops of each bottle = PH 9.0
6 pHion drops of each bottle = PH 9.5+ (the color was really bright)



Next I used pHydrion Vivid strips, which are designed for testing saliva
Tap = PH 6.4
Filtered = PH 5.8
3 pHion drops of each bottle = PH 6.2
6 pHion drops of each bottle = PH 7.0



For the last test I used a pool test for water, and since this test is designed to measure water and not saliva, I believe these results are the most accurate.  Unfortunately it's also limiting as it only measures 6.8, 7.2, 7.8, and 8.4.

Tap = PH 7.2
Filtered = PH -6.8 (the color was much lighter then the lightest)
3 pHion drops of each bottle = PH 8.4+
6 pHion drops of each bottle = PH 8.4++ (very bright magenta color)

So I've been drinking PH balanced water for a while now, and I have noticed it does make a difference.  I don't have to drink as much to feel satisfied, and I'm getting use to the taste.  When I'm not drinking tap, Arrowhead, or Fiji, I use the drops, but instead of the recommended 6 drops, I find using only 3 drops just fine.  The taste is better, the PH is still Alkaline, and the product lasts longer.  The drops aren't cheap!  I also feel better, and I don't have the acid reflux problem I use to have.

3 comments:

  1. Quite a ride you went on for this one. But considering how essential potable water is in our daily lives, all the efforts do seem to be worth it. Your experiment might also prove to be useful for people who are also wary of the water they're drinking. Thanks for sharing! -Paul @ American Pure Spring Water

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, thank you for sharing such a informative blog. I Was working in water testing service form very long time they were tested water from one of the best water testing service.Their are many water testing company but make sure you choose best and good experienced only. Keep sharing

    ReplyDelete