Friday, November 9, 2012

James Bond Skyfall Movie Review


Rating: 4.5 Stars out of 5.

I saw James Bond Skyfall with my entire family, including my Grandmothers, and it's interesting how we each had a different take on it.  My Mom and I both gave it a solid 4.5, Robbie gave it a 2 (but that's because he's fresh from his mission, which doesn't say a whole lot for my Mom and I), Steven gave it about a 4 (he liked MI: IV Ghost Patrol more), and my Dad gave it a 3 (he thought the middle lagged a little).

I loved it, and like it the best of all the Daniel Craig Bond movies.  I take that back, I like it the best of all the Bond Movies.  It's gritty and psychological.  Bond is feeling his age a little, and with plot points I will not mention, he's not as sharp as he used to be.  I like that.  It added interesting tension and suspense.

This is one of those movies I just don't want to give anything away; by watching the trailers I had an idea of some of the plot points, but the less you know, the greater the ride.  And it is a ride.  The action scenes are as intense as we've come to expect from the past films, and this film does not disappoint.  The opening sequence on the train . . . Just wow. 

The new characters are enthralling.  Naomie Harris was a fun Bond girl with intelligence and skill, and I enjoyed the actress in the role.  What's even more surprising is that she played Tia Dalma/Calypso in the 2nd and 3rd Pirates of the Caribbean movies, a completely different role.  Javier Bardem is the films villain Silva, a mastermind laced with insanity; if pitted against The Joker, I think Silva would win.  And the classic Bond character Q is played by Ben Whishaw, a young genius who actually gets outsmarted.

The Rotten Tomato for this latest Bond installment is a solid 93%: 174 fresh to 14 rotten.  What were those 14 thinking!?

Daniel Craig is my favorite Bond.  He is so real, and his character expands further, adding a richness to this 007 British agent.  You feel his anguish and eagerness.  You feel the weight on his shoulders, the pain.  Bond is no superhero, thank goodness; he's a man of fierce determination.

Adele wrote the title song for Skyfall, simply named Skyfall, and it's perfect.  I heard it on the radio, coming in half-way through the song, and my Mom and I looked at each other with the same thought: That sounded like Adele, and that sounded like a Bond song.  It was, and it fits the movie well. 

A perfect Bond film for James Bond's 50th Anniversary year of the series.

If you can, see the movie on IMAX.  It's amazing.

MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for intense violent sequences throughout, some sexuality, language and smoking).

As a note, there's a sexuality scene towards the beginning that is brief, but quite graphic . . . and the shower.  Yeah, it's a James Bond film alright.  The movie, with violence, etc, strongly earns it's PG-13 rating

2 comments:

  1. If memory serves, all the Daniel Craig installments have been without the nude silhouette at the beginning credits. That makes it so much better than all the others right there! Ha ha ha! Craig is my favorite Bond, too (but Sean Connery is a close second). He is more real. The other Bonds were too suave, good-looking, super-human. It's nice having a fallible human being as 007. Can't wait to see "Skyfall!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The openning credits do have some nude silhoutette's, if I remember right. Though, Bond is far more real in this movie then his earlier, which I really like. So much easier to cheer for the good-guy when he's human :0)

      Delete