Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Bauman Rare Books in Las Vegas


So I totally geeked out when I discovered the Bauman Rare Books store at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas.  I'm the kind of girl who really isn't into jewelry (I honestly don't understand the appeal of Diamonds), and I'm annoyed with shoe stores (whenever I walk into a shoe store and find cute shoes, I kinda freak out.)  But there is something I do drool over: antique books.  I have a nice, small collection including an 8 volume 1882 set of Charles Dickens books, and a 1904 Edger Allen Poe book of tales. 



Benjamin Franklin is my most favorite American Founding Father.  He's brilliant, smart, witty, and invented a musical instrument.  The store had a first edition Poor Richard's Almanack, and I was allowed to hold it!  I was so afraid to touch the book, the binding and pages are delicate, but it was amazing.  It's cool to think that it was likely Franklin who printed the book in his shop.  At least that's what I imagined when I held the book in my hands.  It was so cool. 



A 1632 edition of William Shakespeare's plays.  I turned to Macbeth, because apparently there's a chance I'm descended from King Duncan, one of the main characters in Macbeth, through his third son. Apparently if you have some clan Robertson in you, that line possibly leads to Duncan, or so I've read, but I'm highly skeptical when it comes to all things genealogical.  Regardless, it's one of my favorite plays.  

And I found writing in the margin!  The worker in the shop didn't know there was writing, so it's cool knowing I discovered it.  Honestly when I collect books, finding writing leads me to generally purchase the book.  It humanizes it; gives the book character and history.  You know someone loved the book before you did.   


A first edition of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn.  A book of controversy!  I personally think it's better then Tom Sawyer.


Seeing this first edition of The Sword in the Stone by T.H. White made me smile.  If the title sounds like a Disney movie, it is.  The Disney Film, about Merlin and King Arthur, where Arther turns into animals and so forth, is based on this book.  And it's the first book in the epic, giant The Once and Future King.  If you haven't read this book, you're missing out.


And finally a typewriter Earnest Hemingway used to write portions of The Dangerous Summer, and the typewriter is still functional.  Really cool.

Oh man, I felt like a kid in a candy store.  It felt like a museum!  I was afraid to breath, but boy was I happy being surrounded by history.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Too bad I don't have $4000 to spend on an antique book...

    Macbeth is my absolute FAVORITE Shakespearean play! I knew we were friends for a reason! Ha ha ha! It's so gritty. Although, nothing beats Titus Andronicus. But, if you read that, be prepared for some end of The Book of Mormon horror. It is seriously beyond me how people can do such horrible things to each other. Anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't read Titus, but Macbeth rocks! The Queen is wicked!

      BTW, the store had a first edition Book of Mormon valued around $106,000!!!! I touched that too. So much money . . .

      Delete