Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Just a Girl Being a Nerd: Gundam Wing


 Have you seen something when you were younger that you really, really wanted, but couldn't get?  And, for whatever reason, wanting it never left your mind?  Heh, not sure what you're thinking, but for me this happens with silly, little things.  In the late 90's I was a huge Gundam Wing fan.  It's still my favorite anime, though it's been awhile since I've seen this Gundam show.

I didn't collect too many things from the series.  My brothers got the Gundam models.  I wanted Wing Zero, but never got around to buying one.  One day, around 2002 or 2003, I was wearing a Gundam Wing t-shirt I bought at a Dark Horse comic store on Universal CityWalk at Universal Studios Hollywood--that's a mouthful--while at Walmart.  This Japanese guy did a double take while I was shopping the produce area and kept staring at me.  Was he surprised an American was wearing a Gundam Wing shirt?  Or that a girl was?  I wore that shirt out.  It was a thing of beauty.

Sometime in the early 2000's I found a set of Gundam Wing character figures.  I wanted it so bad!  But didn't have the money and had to pass.  Now and then, later on, I checked Ebay, and for years I couldn't find it for sale.  Then a few years ago I noticed this set starting to pop up, but still I couldn't splurge.  Then, last week, I found it for $30 with free shipping.  I had to do it!  And now it's sitting on a shelf.

The box is damaged.  There's sun bleaching.  This set has probably seen a few things, or not while collecting dust in a box.  Still, I had to momentarily take the figures out to examine.  For now I'll display them in the box.

The nerdy girl in me is happy to have these Gundam Wing figures.


No comments:

Post a Comment