Wednesday, October 2, 2013

In Which I Disagree With Jane Austen


I saw this bag at a movie theater a couple weeks ago.  At first I loved it, having to take a picture to remember the words, until I started to think about it . . . thinking, then thinking some more.  Suddenly I realized I didn't believe the quote at all.

"It isn't what we say or think that defines us, but what we do."  ~ Jane Austen

Sure, the sentiment is nice, and our actions do define us, but isn't what we say considered an action?  Don't thoughts lead to motion?

On the first point, there are many who will say things, speak pretty words, or harsh tones, and not follow through with what's said.  But what we choose to say with our language, colloquial speech, swearing, eloquence, positives, negatives, threats, encouragements, put downs, uplifts, and everything in between has an influence.

We don't have to hit someone to cause harm.  We don't have to give someone a hug to give reassurance.

Having the courage to speak up and share our mind can make all the difference in a time of difficulty.  Simply saying "Hi" to a stranger can mean the World to someone in a time of struggle.

Our words, what we say, does matter.

And on the second point, what we think actually has more impact on "what defines us" then what we say and do.  Thinking leads to action.  No one commits a crime without first thinking the thought.  No one creates anything without an idea first springing to mind.  Happy people think happy thoughts; miserable, depressed people foster negative thoughts.

The key to controlling what we do is to first control what we think.

(Edit 10-4-2013:  I've been informed that Jane Austen didn't actually say what is quoted on the bag, but that it was a line used during an adaptation of one of her books.  The danger of history and how things can be twisted.  I still hold true to the sentiments I expressed.)

7 comments:

  1. This makes me think of the parable in the scriptures. When the Lord goes and asks his servant to do go something, the servant says he will. But he doesn't do it. Then the Lord goes to another servant, and asks his servant to do something, and his servant says no. But then goes out and does it. And, according to the story, the latter servant was the most valuable. So, in that sense, what he said and thought didn't define him, but what he did defined him. Your point is valid, I would like to think, however, that Austen was delving deeper into the human subconscious. We may say or think one thing, or even believe it, but when we conquer self in order to do what is right, that is the greater accomplishment. It's taking a leap of faith! And that is what God asks us to do all the time! And of course we have the old adage that says "Fake it 'till you make it." Again, that is action taking presidence over our natural man inclinations or feelings. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite true. You do have a point. There's quite a few angles you can see this from.

      Delete
  2. Actually, you're not disagreeing with Jane Austen, because that line was not written by Jane Austen. It's (a version of) a line from Andrew Davies' 2008 TV adaptation of "Sense and Sensibility," but it doesn't come from the novel. Arguably, Jane Austen might have more or less agreed with the sentiment -- she certainly didn't have much time for people who talk about how wonderful and sensitive they are but then act with ruthless self-interest -- but she didn't write those words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, thank you. I added a little comment to the end of the blog post about what you said. That's the danger, then, with quotes. I found a fantastic quote once from Albert Einstein, and found out through research that it was only a rephrasing of something he had said . . . and yet that quote carries forth as official. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
    2. This made my day. A friend recently posted this quote on her FB page and it did not sound right to me. I have searched a few free eBook editions to try to find the quote, but I was unsuccessful. The quote is plastered all over the internet from Goodreads to Etsy, so I was beginning to think my Google Fu was weak. Thank you for confirming that it is not a real Jane Austen quote!

      Delete
    3. Thanks VR Sword Collector! I'm glad Deborah Yaffe verified that it wasn't a true Jane Austen quote, because it was driving me crazy! . . . hence this blog post. :0)

      Delete
    4. Thank you, Deborah! I was just about to comment and say the same thing. By the way, loved your little rant in Among the Janeites about quotes that keep getting passed off as Jane Austen's when they're from movies, some of them being absolutely ridiculous. (Not that this particular one is.) Anyway, you were quite accurately expressing my own thoughts in that passage and I love it when that happens.

      Delete