Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Chillin' With the Rose Parade . . . or not


I learned something interesting last night, HGTV is no longer showing the Rose Parade in full uninterrupted glory.  Came as a shock, a feeling of a tradition lost.  A few internet searches later and I still can't find an explanation.  A loss of contract?  Could no longer afford to show the parade without commercials?

This morning I found ABC and NBC showing the parade.  I can't watch NBC as our local affiliate and DirecTV have been in a negotiations war for months, and I can only watch programing on the app.  ABC was my only option.

So many thoughts.  First: I miss HGTV's coverage.  ABC had so many commercials and behind the scene features that would have been better suited as a pre-program, taking away from the parade itself.  I actually like seeing all the floats, bands, equestrians, etc.  This morning I could only watch the first hour, so I just finished watching the second, skipping through it quickly as commercials flew by. 

Still, I love the Rose Parade.  It's fascinating.  The creativity.  Construction.  Mechanical ingenuity.  Design.  Use of materials.  So many beautiful floats.  Someday I hope to see the parade in person, though a decade ago I got to look at the floats a couple days after the parade.  Worth doing once as the floats are magnificent in person.

New Years Day is coming to a close.  Day one into 2019 is almost finished.  Crazy.  I just want to take this year one day at a time.  Embrace what has been planned along with what hasn't.  Tomorrow I start my resolutions, as New Year resolutions should never start on the first.

This will be a great year. :0)  No matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment