Thursday, January 10, 2019

Bumblebee mini movie review


Rating: B+

In 2007 the Transformer cartoon that I occasionally watched as a kid was turned into a Summer popcorn movie.  It was fun, crazy, entertaining, and the movie where I learned to love Bumblebee, a transforming robot that turns into a yellow car. I had a hard time getting into the movies that followed.  I didn't get around to seeing Revenge of the Fallen, 2009, and forgot to see 2017's The Last Knight.  (I did review Age of Extinction and gave it a 3.25 out of 5, back when I was on the number reviewing system.)

When I heard there was going to be a Bumblebee movie I was intrigued, but not rushing to see it.  It was my brothers and family wanting to see Bumblebee on New Years Eve that I went, mainly because it was a family activity and all the kids had babysitters, so something we haven't done in awhile.

What a pleasant surprise!  And now my favorite Transformer movie.

This movie takes place during the 1980's when Bumblebee crash lands on Earth, creating all kinds of problems, fleeing a war from his home world to find a safe haven for the autobots.  He has a mission, a mission he forgets when his memory is zapped, just after losing his ability to speak.

Here we find Bumblebee's origin story, meeting Charlie, played by Hailee Steinfeld, and the friendship they developed.  There's cut scenes to the villains and our governments involvement, but the movie shines whenever Charlie and Bumblebee are on screen.  It's a cute story.  The 1980's throwback fun.

In the end I found myself a Transformer fan again.  I actually wanted to dig out the 2007 DVD to see Bumblebee's story continue.  And the CGI!!  Usually I grumble with some CGI, but Bumblebee was animated brilliantly.  It's amazing the emotion conveyed by a voiceless robot.

Out of all the movies I saw last last year, this is the one I would quickly re-watch again.

And Hailee Steinfeld's end credit song "Back to Life" with an 80's vibe is cool.

MPAA: PG-13 for sequences of sci-fi action violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment