Tuesday, July 9, 2013

In Which a Hot Air Balloon Lands Close to Home

(Image Info)

There's this wonderful tradition here in Utah Valley.  It surrounds the 4th of July as part of the Freedom Festival, and unfortunately I've only seen it a few times: The Balloon Fest.  Hot Air Balloons floating above Provo, dazzling the sky with various colors.

I don't even remember the year I first found out about it, by accident.  Orem is at a higher elevation then Provo, so when traveling on University Parkway next to the boarder where the two cities meet, there's a point where Provo suddenly comes into view, the Valley majestic.  Out of no where there seemed to be hundreds of hot air balloons floating in the sky.  Never had I seen anything like it.

Then a few years ago I woke up early to watch the balloons fill up and lift off.  It was then that I learned that the weather has to be perfect, no upper wind, for the balloons to launch.  The drive seemed to be for naught, as they all decided the risk wasn't worth it, until one lonely balloon decided to make a try for it and rose.  My Mom, brother, and I were on the south side of the Valley when we noticed this, and decided to chase it.

As the balloon drifted we noticed it getting closer and closer to where we lived, so much so that by the time we pulled into our driveway, the balloon grazed the top of the trees in it's quick decent, landing in a nearby park.  We ran and saw the relieved piloteers get out of the basket.  For them regret came no sooner then taking off, feeling the tug of the wind, quickly scouting for a safe place to land.  Surrounded by power lines our park was a risk, but the wind danger proved more dangerous.

Neighbors quickly gathered as we all watched the balloon deflate and packed away.  It was incredible!  I took pictures, but unfortunately that was on an older phone, lost to time.

This last weekend I really wanted to see the balloons, and being up early to help with the parade should have been a sure bet, but it rained early that morning, much to the dismay of the overnight parade campers.  So I was quite determined to wake up early the next day, but with a lightening storm coming through, waking me up at three in the morning, visions of balloons fleeted from my mind.  I didn't want to make the effort if they were going to be grounded again, so I gleefully slept in.

. . . maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment