Sunday, July 21, 2013

My Favorite Hymn "Savior, Redeemer of My Soul"

(One of the many pictures I took yesterday while in the mountains)

This is one of my most favorite hymns.  It's always been in the hymn book, but it wasn't until singing the Rob Gardner version (same words, different melody) during my time with the Latter-Day Celebration choir that I truly grew to love "Savior, Redeemer of My Soul."  Whenever I'm having a hard time, this is one of the hymns I sing in my mind, sitting still and feeling the words.  They are such a comfort, and have become my personal mission statement. 

"Savior, Redeemer of My Soul"

Lyric by Orson F. Whitney, 1855-1931

Savior, Redeemer of my soul,
Whose mighty hand hath made me whole,
Whose wondrous pow'r hath raised me up
And filled with sweet my bitter cup!
What tongue my gratitude can tell,
O gracious God of Israel.

Never can I repay thee, Lord,
But I can love thee. Thy pure word,
Hath it not been my one delight,
My joy by day, my dream by night?
Then let my lips proclaim it still,
And all my life reflect thy will.

O'errule mine acts to serve thine ends.
Change frowning foes to smiling friends.
Chasten my soul till I shall be
In perfect harmony with thee.
Make me more worthy of thy love,
And fit me for the life above.

No comments:

Post a Comment