Thursday, July 18, 2013

It Can Happen in a Porta-Potty or, In Other Words, How to Feel a Sonic Blast


 A few years ago my parents celebrated their 30th anniversary, and as a gift I put together two scrapbooks filled with stories, kind messages, and pictures.  Below is one of the stories I shared; it's one of those stories that routinely gets brought up, constantly getting a huge chuckle and a lot of embarrassment.


 It was October 14, 1997, and Edward Air Force base in the California Mojave Dessert was celebrating both the 50th anniversary of the Air Force and Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrier.  Two huge occasions, and the air show was rumored to be epic.  It was!  And thousands came from all over to see the grand show and feel/hear Chuck Yeager officially break the sound barrier for the last time with the U.S. Air Force.

I've seen a lot of programs about the breaking of the sound barrier.  My Dad is a lover of planes, space, NASA, etc.  I couldn't wait to finally be in the presence of one, let alone a sonic blast created by Yeager himself!


The crowds were insane, and it was hard finding a place to sit before the start of the show.  My Mom and I didn't want to miss a thing, so we went off to find the porta-potties. Dad told us the show started at 10:00 a.m., so we had some time.  There were two long rows of porta-potties, front and back, and still there was a wait.  At 10:00 a.m. sharp we were both in neighboring porta-potties.  Well, right at that moment there was an explosion of sound and this great shaking.  Suddenly there was, around us, a chorus of voices saying "Did we miss it?" "Was that it?" "What Happened?"  Mom and I couldn't believe it!

When we made it back to the boys we found out what had happened.  Chuck Yeager was scheduled to break the sound barrier at 10:00 a.m., signaling the start of the show.  Dad insisted he told us that, but he didn't!  

That little bit of information went amiss!

     When later talking with my brothers they told me they could hear the breaking of the sound barrier and see a little dot in the sky, but they couldn't feel it.  I got to hear, and feel, the sonic blast!

(What I originally wrote in the scrapbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment