Monday, December 10, 2012

Cerulean Jade Update 12-10-2012


I need to find some way to refer to the songs I'm working on, so that it's not so confusing, especially when two or three songs are being worked on at the same time, and I haven't announced the songs name yet.  "This song or That song" can only go so far, so I've come up with a system.

OCJS stands for Original Cerulean Jade Song.  OCJS #1 is actually Dream Maze, which came out earlier this year.  The current electronic/synth/VSTI song we're working on will go by OCJS #2, until that songs title is revealed.  Can't give it away yet!  What's the fun in that? And OCJS #3 is a more acoustic guitalele/drums/piano in a more jazz pop style.  I have a few jazz songs I've written, but the other songs must have a full on jazz band with good ol' swinging style, but OCJS #3 can lend itself to simplicity.  Confused yet?

On Cyber Monday we picked up a drum VSTI kit!  We've been needing good drum sounds, and it's been fun playing around with it.  Sweetwater.com had great sales that day, so we picked up the Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0 by Crossgrade EZdrummer.  We've been quite pleased with it, and Sweet Water's customer service has been impressive. 

(Steven playing with the drum pad we also picked up on Cyber Monday)

I'm a little nervous about OCJS #2, in that we're taking some risks musically.  There's some real quirk there!  I think it's fun, and I'm loving the songs direction.  But honestly, Steven and I can't quite figure out it's genre.  It's not Imogen Heap, Lights, or Owl City, which is good.  And I really like the songs message.  This ain't no love song!  I really don't like writing love songs, though OCJS #3 might be considered one . . .

(Edit 12-10-2012 12:16 pm MST.  Steven and I were working on the song just now, figuring out timing issues, adding and taking away instruments, etc, and it's sounding really cool.  My excitement is just growing and growing.)

And talking about OCJS #3, the original goal was to try and get that song out by the end of the month with #2, but with trying to do a full Music Video, it would be wise to wait till January.  We've decided to release a new original vocal song each month next year, along with instrumentals that will accompany the single releases here or there.  And by the end of next year we hope to have enough songs to make a full album compilation!

We're still experimenting and playing around with sounds, but we're having a lot of fun in the process.

Now to go and work on some music!
Sarah  

No comments:

Post a Comment