Friday, January 18, 2013

Learning to Understand Bronies


Looking at the picture of this cake you would think the birthday that happened this last week was for one of my nieces.  If you assumed this you are wrong.  This cake was for my brother Michael, who is closer to 30 then 20.  Then you might assume that being the father of two little girls is starting to get to him . . . and you would be partially right.  Just partially, because there is a phenomenon sweeping the geeky nerd World that I don't yet understand.

You see, my brother is a Brony.  And what is a Brony?

(Taken from the Urban dictionary:)

The male, older fans of my little pony: friendship is magic.
Bronies internet convo=

Brony "yo man, you seen the new episode last night?"
Brony 2 "totally, midnight sparkle was the bomb with that friendship blast."



Micheal's a Brony.  Michael and Robbie's friends are Bronies, and I'm not talking gal friends, it's all their guy friends who love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.  Robbie went to a friends birthday party and every one of his friends presents were my little pony gifts!  Shirts, toys, etc.  

So to enlighten my Mom and I, who still have a hard time believing the core audience of the new My Little Pony series are teenage/young adult guys, my brothers showed us the first two episodes of season one.  My Mom and I kept looking at each other in shock.  This show is what's causing this craze?  

Apparently, according to Robbie, the show really takes off after episode 13.  And I must say I do like the animation style.  A lot of animation these days are just plain bad ( *cough* Sponge Bob *cough*).  Back in my day we had Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Darkwing Duck, Duck Tales, and a few other great kid shows. And I did watch the original My Little Pony, Strawberry shortcake, Care Bears, and Rainbow Bright.  I had it pretty good as a kid, so I am glad that the younger generation is getting quality, new animation.

I don't know, I need to see more episodes to decide if I'll become a fan.  Chances are I will, and I'm just avoiding the inevitable.  Though I got to say the below clip, with John de Lancie channeling Q through Discord, is pure awesome.

   Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment