Friday, January 11, 2013

Exercises for the Snowed In


It snowed last night, and I've found that when it comes to sticking to an exercise routine and going to the gym, snow is one of the first things that stop me, especially at 6 a.m.  Some people don't mind driving in snow and ice, but I'll avoid it if I can.  So I workout at home on days I can't make it to the gym.  Here are some great, free online resources I've found:

For the Family:

Sparks People, at sparkspeople.com, is overall an amazing website for all things health and motivation.  There's a great, friendly community, but also recipes and articles on a variety of subjects.  And of course there is a video section with cardio, pilates, yoga, and ab workouts.  The site itself is a little overwhelming at first, but once you figure out where everything is, the website really is amazing.  It's worth checking out.   

For Guys (though there's good stuff for everyone)

Nerd Fitness: Level up your Life is a blog, but Steve shares some great health information, and he has a Free Resource section where he's put together workouts that have links to YouTube.  A really fun blog, and I love the Lego pics.  Here's a link to the videos.

For the Gals

A lot of Women Health magazines have workouts with videos and articles avaliable for free on their websites. 

Fitness Magazine has a nice variety of videos, and this is one of my favorite places to go.  They even have a short workout video called Cold Play: Your Winter Workout Plan.

Self is probably one of the more well known health magazines.  Here's a link to their workout section.  BTW, they have a lot of prizes and drawings, and it's never a bad idea to enter.  A couple months ago I randomly got a package through FedEx, and inside was a free workout DVD for a contest I forgot I entered.  That was pretty awesome.      

Shape Magazine has some great workouts.  I need to try the Fat-Blasting Rebounding Routine.  I love my mini trampoline, and Rebounding workouts are really good for you.  I know it looks silly, but it really is a great workout.

Youtube

I discovered the Mahalo channel when I was searching for Tap dance videos, where they have a great series.  Honestly, they have series for just about anything you want to learn.  They have a couple Fitness playlists, and here is one of their videos: 


And if you want to dance here's a Tap video (link to all):


There's Hip-Hop as well, if you want to check that out.

Have fun!
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. I have invested in almost every Jillian Michael's DVD I can find (they are awesome!) and in a treadmill and bike stand. I have found that buying a gym membership isn't economical. And I hate sharing with other people. And I hate other people's germs that I am forced to deal with when I have to share exercise equipment with them. And I was once hit in the face by some guy at the gym with a 20 lbs weight because he wasn't paying attention...the day before my wedding...maybe that's the real reason I hate gyms! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hit by a 20 lbs weight! I'd hate gyms if that happened to me too! I caught something (bug), and I half wonder if it was the gym . . . ich. But I love Zumba and Spinning classes, so I'm not quite ready to give up the gym for that reason alone. Though working out at home is a huge time saver.

      Delete