Saturday, June 4, 2022

What a Difference a Year Makes


On May 12th, 2021, my Mom and I were going to meet up with my Dad for lunch at the Cheesecake Factory in Salt Lake Valley.  But that morning, along with the 6th, 8th, and 10th of May, I woke up in pain and sick.  On and off for the previous year this strange illness hit, and I was terrified. 

The plans were changed to May 13th, and on that day I was well enough for the drive and the eating.  Found out a month and a half later my gallbladder was very sick and there were gallstones, so a surgery was performed.  This last year has been about recovery and overcoming food fears that developed between a failing gallbladder and Interstitial Cystitis (I.C. has been a decade long battle, and is now under control).
 
I was recently in Honolulu. When the airport transfer dropped my Mom and I off I noticed that the Cheesecake Factory was within walking distance!  That next day, the 13th of May (which landed on a Friday!! :P ), we waked to the restaurant. It was then I realized the last time I ate at the Cheesecake Factory was in Utah, exactly a year before.  Never would I have imagined in 2021 that I would be at the same restaurant, a year later to the day, only in Hawaii, free of pain and free to eat whatever I wished.   
 
It was a moment of overwhelming gratitude.  Thankful that my illness was discovered.  Thankful I was able to get the surgery. Thankful that I can eat and not fear food. (Some things I do have to be careful with, but I can eat eggs again!  It wasn't an intolerance after all, but one of the first signs my gallbladder was having issues).  

This experience was a testament that times do change, things do change.  Sometimes for the worse, but also for the better.  It's hard to predict where life will take us.  How things will end up. How the world will affect us.  There's so much to be scared by, so much to worry about, but we still have moments of blessings. Moments of joy. Periods of peace in our own lives. Bad times do come to an end. Pain can heal. We can heal. Questions are answered.
 
There is still light.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment