Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Sometimes You've Just Got to Laugh

Life can be a little stressful in college. Through my upper education I attended four colleges: two junior colleges in California, UVSC (now UVU), and BYU. The first three schools were wonderful. The junior colleges challenging while budget friendly and giving a great education. UVSC was exceptional all around. And then there was BYU...

BYU Provo. One of three BYU's in the world, the other two residing in Idaho and Hawaii. Oh, BYU... a challenge to get into requiring much faith and work.  When I was accepted and on campus nothing prepared me for the giant stress bomb is was. A bunch of type A study-holics all over the place. (At least that's what I saw as I didn't go to any of the parties, hanging out in the library instead. :P )

But oh, the stress. One of my favorite memories was while in the fine arts building getting ready to start a music class, and this girl ran up eating all this chocolate. She just failed a test and was in need of endorphins, and we all had a good laugh.

A while later I experienced my week of misery. Several tests in about four days while still attending class. This week was harder than finals week, and I was all kinds of anxiety.

In one afternoon I took back to back tests at the testing center. The testing center was two levels: classes with a long hallway below and a giant room full of desks above. When descending the stairs to the ground level there's computer screens showing test scores. I failed the first test! After a quick study refresher in the hallway I headed up to take the second test and failed that as well!! I laughed and laughed. Sometimes all you can do is laugh. Laughing felt good. Sure I failed, but I survived, and there were chances to try again.

Life is funny. There are good days where we achieve and do well. Then there are blocks of time where we seem to mess everything up and fail. There are more chances. There's more time. If possible laugh, it does help, and then try again.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment