Monday, December 6, 2021

Watching Doctor Who Burn

In Star Wars Kylo Ren said, "Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. That's the only way to become what you were meant to be." Chris Chibnall, current Doctor Who show runner, whether he heard this quote or not, has taken this sentiment to heart.

Jodie Whittaker is the 13th Doctor. And I gave her an honest chance. Watched the first couple seasons, though I didn't care for several aspects (many, many aspects) I kept watching. That is... until the rumors for the last series final came out. The Doctor's origin was being rewritten.  

I taped the Timeless Child arch, but didn't immediately watch the show. The spoilers warned me to stay away. Thankfully I heard the advice and listened. Watching a grown women kill a child, over and over again, simply to discover the regeneration powers of the doctor (said child) seemed abhorrent. The idea that the birth of the Time Lords was due to such killing is appalling.

The Doctor has now regenerated a 1,000 times over. William Hartnell is no longer the first Doctor. That is the greatest crime of all.

I started watching classic Who, the earlier seasons that began in the 60's, because seeing the birth of Doctor Who is interesting. I wanted to watch the legacy that spawned decades of entertainment. When the Timeless Child arch was broadcast I was at the end of the 2nd Doctor's episodes. Only about 10 episodes away from the regeneration of the 3rd Doctor. I couldn't stomach continuing the show and canceled Britbox.

I didn't even make it to Tom Baker's run!! I should go back and watch them sometime, just to spite the current show, because the past does matter.

The current series that ended last Sunday literally caught fire to the Doctor Who universe.  The Flux. A six episode arch. A band of fire time energy of sorts ripping through the universe, destroying planets, space ships, and life. The Earth was shielded thanks to the help of space alien dogs.

Without spoiling too much, the whole series was a mess. Too much going on. More questions than answers. Plots with holes and loose ends. Too much. Too quick. Bad ideas throughout. Good ideas with wasted potential and not fleshed out. A whole bowl of shame.

And the most interesting character died at the end.

The worst of it, the Timeless Child was doubled down.  We are now led to believe that the Doctor was indeed that child, murdered several times over.  That the Doctor has led countless lives.  This alone creates holes in previous plot lines. The sacrifice of some characters erased. Holes and crevices everywhere.  

I'm not against change. I love cleverness and creativity. Unfortunately this last series is anything but. The past does matter. Legacies should be honored and respected. Create the new while respecting the old. That's all fans, in all fandoms, want.

This last season had an interesting premise with its format. Six episodes, linked together, a different focus with each, while also interlacing many plotlines. But the problem comes with bloat. In short, too much with characters rushed in, little screen time, so in the end no connections were truly created. Just a lot of things that would have been cool if developed fully and explored, minus the Timeless Child. I wasn't emotionally connected. 

I no longer watch because I care. I watch to see how much worse it can get.

Now I'm repeating and meandering. 

It's all so heartbreaking. The flux tried to burn down a Universe. Instead the flux burned down decades of a beloved show.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment