Monday, December 27, 2021

Awaiting a Snow Squall

Squall: "a sudden violent gust of wind or a localized storm, especially one bringing rain, snow, or sleet."

A few hours ago there was an emergency weather alert, my phone buzzing, a square message covering mindless internet wandering. A snow squall was coming. Beware of limited visibility.

A snow squall? Sounds exciting... and dangerous.  I quickly consulted a weather app, screen shot the rader map, and sent it to my family. A couple of my sibs were in Salt Lake dealing with it there, trying not to bump into cars or slide off the road. They're now safe.

But here? Visibility was never a problem and the snow was more of a dusting. This isn't a bad thing, as safety is most important, but I'm a little disappointed. A snow squall would be fun to witness.

Several years ago we got a weather warning in regards to a blizzard. Salt Lake got hit hard. My sibs and I were nesting in preparation. As soon as the storm came around the point of the mountain it dissipated, scattering, barely any snow falling, and as soon as the storm moved south of the valley it came back together wrecking havoc down I-15. Storm systems are weird and unpredictable in Northern Utah.

I don't know how the squall affected different spots around these valleys, but as exciting as bursts of wind mixed with snow could be, I'm glad people are safe.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment