Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Visiting the Latter-Day Saints Rome (Roma) Temple Open House in Italy

 

The real reason many of us wanted to visit Italy.  The Rome (Roma) Temple Open House for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I've blogged in the past about other temple open houses, this is the furthest I've ever traveled to visit one.

That morning our tour group visited the Vatican City.  We saw the Sistine Chapel.  Saw the grandeur.  Marvelous works of art and architecture.  So it seemed visiting the Latter Day Saint temple open house would be a let down, but it wasn't.  This Temple is simple in comparison to that found in Rome and elsewhere, and yet it is elegant, the insides beautiful.  Sun light streamed through the stained glass windows in the most wonderful way while we stood in the Celestial room.  I didn't want to leave this room, looking over my shoulder to catch one last glimpse as I walked through the doors.


 First views of the Temple.


The visitors center.



There's a model of the Temple showing each room in miniature.



Christ and his apostles.










Early missionaries to Italy.












That Sunday we attended a church service in Florence.


There were 5 tour buses in total!  There were over 350 people scattered between the upstairs chapel and the lower rooms.  It took about 30 minutes to serve the sacrament to everyone.  Most of our tour opted to go to the other rooms were there was an English translator.  My Mom, Aunt, and I stayed in the chapel.  I don't understand Italian, but I wanted to hear the sacrament talk, given by one of the sisters in the ward, in the Italian language.  I didn't understand, but I felt what she was saying.  I felt her deep testimony and love for the Savior.  This was a truly beautiful experience.

It was also fun singing in Italian.


Before the meeting started a boy handed out these little papers to the visitors.  He was also waiting outside to say goodbye to everyone leaving.  He was probably 8 or 9 years old, and yet such an exceptional young man.

I really loved this visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment