Saturday, February 23, 2019

Snowed In at St. George Utah


 I just got back from St. George Utah.  It was a family trip, one scheduled a while back with a date that couldn't be moved.  As Monday approached it was clear a major snow storm would sweep through the whole western United States.

I went with my Mom, Aunt Tam, and Grandma, and we were supposed to come back Wednesday.  Each day it seemed the upcoming storm was getting worse. 


 The drive between Northern to Southern Utah along I-15 is an interesting one.  There's mountains.  There's some kind of weird car death trap between mile marker 100-150, in which I've been stranded 3 times.  Getting stuck in the middle of Utah during a snow storm sounded less than ideal, so we pushed our trip back to coming home today.  Yesterday may have been fine, but we wanted to be safe, and today the sun was out, the road clear.


 Palm trees covered in snow.

 St. George was covered in snow as I walked to the main hotel building for breakfast Thursday.  Red rocks turned white.  A guy coming out of the building wished me a sarcastic Merry Christmas.  He was none too pleased.  I found the whole experience fascinating.  I've visited St. George so many time, many times during the Winter, and never have I seen it snow.

I have a few friends in Nevada, a couple in Las Vegas, and they were sharing all these photos of it snowing there as well.  And on T.V. I saw a report of it snowing in Bakersfield, an hour from where I grew up, so that was crazy.


Friday morning the storm passed Southern Utah, but was still hitting the central state.

Well, I'm home.  I'm always thankful for a safe trip.

And it's always fun when surprising new things happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment