Thursday, February 14, 2019

Wishing for Love "Letters to Juliet" Style in Verona Italy, Juliet's house, Casa di Giulietta


Last weekend I visited Juliet's home in Verona Italy, from Romeo and Juliet fame, popularized by the movie "Letters to Juliet," a cute romantic movie perfect for Valentines Day, which this is.  Valentines Day!  Honestly, my least favorite holiday of the year, simply because it's kinda depressing being single on this day.  Okay, I know I need a better attitude and viewpoint, and as strong as I try to be each year, this day affects me regardless.

But last weekend I was in Verona.  Verona!  The city of love.  A place representing the love story of two teenagers so in love they die by the end of their own story.  Which is really sad.  And Juliet is obviously the person you should go to for love advice because, you know, a 14 year old girl who doesn't make it to 15, because, you know, love, is the perfect person to turn to when you're needing love advice.

But, Love!

Amore!

And I really wanted to see what this place was like in person.

Not quite what I was expecting.


 I visited Italy with my Mom, Dad, and Aunt with a tour, and the local guide only gave us 5 minutes at Juliet's House.  Not enough time to explore.

The first thing that struck me was the hallway, archway, leading into Juliet's court.  In the Letters to Juliet movie it's romantic, letters stuck between bricks as the Secretaries to Juliet pull them out.  In real life the letters litter the walls, stuck on with tape, gum, band-aids, etc.



 On the other wall is a canvas you can write on, placed there by www.julietlovesignatures.com.



 In the courtyard is a balcony, placed there in the early 1900's for tourist purposes, which has honestly worked.  And under the balcony is Juliet's statue where a waiting line forms for people who want to touch, being polite here, Juliet's breast for luck.  Our tour guide said she touched Juliet's breast and shortly after she met her husband.

You know, I can use all the luck I can get!!

Heh, so I touched her breast, felt absolutely ridiculous, and then smiled for a photo, making me feel even more ridiculous.

But I did it for love luck.


And as I left the courtyard I wrote on the wall, "This year I'll find Love!!!"

Not quite sure what I'm supposed to write to Juliet, but a confident declaration seemed like the best bet.

Now, does Juliet have secretaries as shown in the movie?  She does!  Members of the Juliet Club actually accept letters via snail mail, email, and left in a post box at Juliet's home, and they do write back!  So you don't have to actually visit Juliet's home to seek her love advice.

Happy Valentines Day, for those with love, and those of us still seeking.

Don't lose hope.

I haven't

No comments:

Post a Comment