Sunday, November 23, 2014

Learning about History through Vintage Postcards


 It's no mystery on this blog that I love postcards.  I participate with postcrossing.com, in which I'm really close to receiving 400 postcards total from around the World.

A little while ago I started collecting vintage/antique postcards.  My collection is pretty small, but so far I love what I've been able to find while visiting antique shops.

I visited quite a few antique stores throughout the Utah Valley, but couldn't find any Utah postcards.  I guess it makes sense that I had to travel outside Utah to finally find some, and it was in Cambria CA where I found a nice little stash.


 These postcards I place between 1945 and 1950

It's fun reading what is described on the back.



 Southern Utah postcards circa 1970's.

Did you know Bryce Canyon inspired the look of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disneyland?  It's all thanks to a National Geographic article back in the day.  (I heard this on one of those behind-the-scenes DVD's that you can buy at the Disney park.  I really need to find the article.)


 I've heard my Mom and Grandparents talk about "The Sky Ride" at Bridal Veil Falls in Provo Canyon several times this last decade, but every time I visit the falls I have a hard time imagining it.  There's no trace of this old ride. Apparently there was a restaurant at the top you could visit.  That would have been fun.

I believe I literally let out a squeal of delight when I found the postcard and couldn't wait to show my family.


 Before and after photos of Mount St. Helens.  Amazing.


 More postcards spanning the country.

I just love how these older postcards are drawn/painted.  It adds to the charm.


 Now this is my most favorite find:  A photo book of images found throughout Oregon and California, all drawings.




 I love the classic cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment