Wednesday, November 19, 2014

1-Up Health Points, Mario and Luigi Style: A New Health Plan


What does Mario have to do with my new healthy checklist plan I just created and am trying out?  Absolutely nothing, except whenever I accomplish a health goal I feel like jumping up and claiming a 1-Up, Mario mushroom style.

I've tried many health plans that work and then fail, so this time I created a plan that's all about competing with myself and adding healthy goals.  My hypothesis is that if I add positive goals and positive motivation, I'll find success.

This plan isn't about eliminating food groups.  And it's not about failure, either, because if I mess up one day the World won't end. Life's not over.  The next day is fully open and ready for more positive accomplishments, whether big or small.

My Plan is a point system.  1 point for every item, with a max of twelve points a day.  At the end of the week I have an opportunity to earn 30 bonus points, but earning them will not be easy.  Earning bonus points will be an accomplishment!

Each day I can earn:
1 point for eating 3 veggies
1 point for eating 2 fruits
1 point for exercising a minimum of 30 minutes
1 point for 8 hours of sleep
1 point for drinking 8 glasses of water
1 point for being in bed by 11:00 PM
1 point for walking 10,000 steps
1 point for not eating at a restaurant/fast food
1 point for not eating a sweet treat
1 point for keeping a food journal
1 point for staying within my allotted calories
1 point for taking time to meditate

End of week Bonus Points:
10 points for not eating sweets at all that week
10 points for exercising 6 days that week a minimum of 45 minutes each day
10 points for not eating at a restaurant or fast food during those 7 days

Every time I earn 10 points I give myself a dollar to spend on something fun, non-food related, like buying an accessory at Charming Charlie or Icing.  Buying a book on Amazon/Amazon Marketplace/downloading an eBook to my Kindle.  Downloading a song or album.  Going to the supermarket and buying myself flowers for my desk, just because.  Fun stuff like that.

Essentially the money is already mine, only this is fun money I allow myself to spend without feeling guilty, because I earned it while forming positive, healthy habits.

For once I'm excited to try a health program!  This will be fun :0) 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I hope your plan works for you! :D

    ReplyDelete