Wednesday, September 26, 2012

K-Pop Invasion: Gangnam Style


Last night, on the way home from a class, I about died: On 103.9 FM (The Mix 107.9), a Utah radio station that plays adult pop/alternative favorites, I suddenly heard an Asian pop song.  At first I thought the song was called Gundam Style (if you know anything about Japanese culture, you'll know a little thing about the amazing giant mechas called Gundam . . . Gundam Wing, till this day, is my most favorite anime.)  And then it became a game of "what language is that?"  I'm addicted to J-pop (Japanese pop music), so that was out.  But halfway through the song he says "Korean," so that was a sure giveaway.
The name of the song is called Gangnam Style sung by K-pop (Korean Pop) artist PSY.  I've never heard this song before last night!  But Korean, on an American radio station, was being sung!  You know what a big deal this is?  Huge!

The music video (which is at the bottom of this post) has gone viral, and as I post this there are close to 284,000,000 hits.  Amazing.
I've been a fan of J-Pop/K-pop songs for years.  It's a J-pop song from the Escaflowne movie that gave me the desire to learn Japanese.  And a few years ago I started getting into K-pop after watching some Korean Drama's (which are very good, BTW.)
If you like this song, and want to hear some more Korean music, I recommend BoA's (Beat of Angel) album "Copy & Paste."  You can download this album off of iTunes along with many of her J-pop hits.  That album has some really cool beats, and "Implode" is such a sweet song.

Enjoy some Gangnam sytle!!

Okay, I have the station on right now, 12:43 PM, and the song is playing AGAIN!!!!!  Two times in less then 24 hours!!!

2 comments:

  1. What is this??? This is so awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha!! Welcome to the dark side known as Asian Pop!! A small taste of the awesomeness that exists:0)

      Delete