Saturday, September 1, 2012

Once in a Blue Moon

(Picture of a Blue Moon, 8-31-2012)

This has been a huge year for astronomy.  First an annular solar eclipse, then the transit of Venus, and now a blue moon.

What's funny is that a blue moon isn't blue at all, but refers to an event when there are two full moons in one calender month.  No one knows where the term "blue moon" came from.  This is a rare occurrence that happens about every three years.  There was one last night, but the next one won't happen until July 31, 2015.

So last night I was trying desperatly to grab a photo, which wasn't working quite right.  Until I realized I should have video taped it and screen cap an image.  Ah!  That would have worked better, but I'm pleased with the image I got above.  I was lucky to see it at all, as it was really cloudy due to thunder storms that lasted through the entire night.  But around 10:40 last night, there were a couple holes in the clouds so I was able to witness this rare event.  It was quite beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment