Monday, December 21, 2020

Searching for the Christmas Star

It's 8:33 pm this Monday night before Christmas as I sit here to write.  How many reading this tried to find the Christmas Star?  For those who don't know, the Christmas Star is simply the simi near sorta not really alignment of Jupiter and Saturn.  Together, with their powers combined, they're shining a little brighter in the sky.  It's also the Winter Solstice, which I think means daylight will start getting longer again.  (Huh, having a brain freeze).

Anywho, this whole Christmas Star business has been all over social media for the last bit.  We all need some good news and a little something to get excited over.  The last time the Christmas Star appeared was March 4, 1226, so it's been awhile.  

Late this afternoon my Mom, Dad, and I went to see The Nutcracker ballet at the movie theater, which was a Fathom event.  We got out just as the sun was setting.  My Dad left so my Mom and I decided to do a little Christmas shopping.  It was just after six when we got out and decided to go on a drive around town.  The Christmas Star was supposed to be out, but I couldn't find it.  Was it being hidden by buildings or distance hills?

We ended up around where my brother Michael and sister-in-law Krista live, so we dropped by to visit.  As we entered the street there was a neighborhood gathering.  My brother had a super fancy telescope set up, and everyone was taking turns to look through the eyepiece to see Jupiter and Saturn close up.  The planets were about to go behind a leafless tree, so my Mom and I made it in time, and I was able to see this planetary star.

You know, if my brother didn't point it out to me I wouldn't have guessed where it was.  Kinda underwhelming, to be honest.  Though seeing the planets through the telescope was really cool.  But want to know what was even cooler?  The Moon!!!  My brother set up the telescope to where the moon was, which is half light and dark, and it was so neat.  The line of light and dark fell over dozens and dozens of craters, and the sharpness of the image, with the light and shadows was just breathtaking. 

The next time this Christmas Star appears will be 2080.  That's in only 60 years.  I'm totally going to be around then... with my memory and eyesight intact!  Ah dang I'll be old. :P  

But that was fun.  A nice little distraction.  

Hope you're all having a wonderful week,

Sarah

 

No comments:

Post a Comment