Monday, December 28, 2020

Another Walking Goal Accomplished: The Motivation of Virtual Races

When it comes to exercising it's hard to find motivation. Well, at least for me.  Some of you may have no problem getting up and getting excited for another sweat session.  I, on the other hand, hang my head in dread.  Working on it!!!

Many years ago I discovered virtual races and some running clubs.  It's simple: Buy bling and when you finish the race it's shipped to you.  A tangible goal with physical results.  The 46 miles Mount Fuji  medal by The Conqueror is the latest I've received, and honestly the most gorgeous.  It's so beautiful in person.

After finishing Mount Fuji I immediately signed up for the Route 66 challenge, and then I realized, "What the freak did I just do??!!?!?!?!"  It's 2,280 miles and I'm determined to finish by the end of next year, but the good thing is biking miles count, and on my indoor pro-form bike I can do 5 miles in 30 minutes, which will improve over time.  I'm 105 miles into this, and about 5% in, so created a little buffer for next year.  This is my overall 2021 mile goal, so I can earn my 50 mile pins at the same time.  It works out to needing to do 44 miles a week.

Oh!  But for my 50 mile pins, and my mile month goals, 18 minutes on the bike or elliptical = 1 mile.  So 18 minute mile regardless of speed and resistance.  My 2020 year goal was 500, I needed 163 miles this month to finish.  I realized that I never counted miles for being at Disneyland for 3 days last February, and decided to count 10 miles from that, so my month goal is now 153.  I was so tired last Saturday!!  I needed a break.  I'm over 100 miles for the month (walking + 18 min machine miles), and only need 40 miles.  40 miles in 4 days!!  I'm going to be so overwhelmingly tired on Friday!!!

One of the things I love to do is put pins on the medal ribbons, but they have a value.  Each pin is 50 miles earned, so my kimono wearing Minnie Mouse from Tokyo DisneySea is worth more miles than the medal it's placed on.  And below are more pins I can place on the medal after earning another 50 miles.  It's a way to earn more miles and not crowd the medal hanger, or buy more medals.

One of my favorite things to do is collect pins when I travel, so being able to display my travel pins brings back so many memories. 

The Giverny France lily pin I bought at a gift shop after visiting Monet's Garden and Home in Giverny, just after walking over the actual bridge that is made famous in his paintings.  His home and gardens are so beautiful and so well maintained.

The Highway One pin I bought at a little shop at Ragged Point.  My Mom, Grandma A and I had just spent a few nights in a hotel next to Moonstone Beach in Cambria Ca.  We were going to start driving south to head home, but decided to go north instead.  Just to see more ocean and Hearst Castle on the hill.  But then we kept going, discovering Ragged Point, and then we're like, "Lets go to Monterey!!"  And so we did, all along Highway 1 through Big Sur with a little stop in Carmel By The Sea, before finding a hotel in Monterey, which was a little pricey, but so worth it.  Such a wonderful spontaneous trip, and one of my favorite memories with my Grandma.  Highway One is always a good idea.  Just breathtaking.


My medal hanger from the Hogwarts Running Club before rebranding to Potterhead Running Club.  I have more medals, but these are the ones I want to display, and it'll keep shifting around.  It's just a fun little hobby that helps me stay motivated.
 
Miles Managed!! :D

Virtual Sites worth checking out: Potterhead Running Club, Whovian Running Club, Yes.Fit, The Conqueror (fantastic online community), Virtual Running Club, RunDisney does virtual races (but they're really expensive, and they sell out fast, so I haven't done any), and many more.

Now to go get 10 miles.  0_0 (Which takes me 3.5 to 4 hours), and I'm doing this everyday for the next four days, but I'm going to make that 500 mile goal!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment