Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Reliving this Last Year While Reading Past Texts

Every now and then I like to go into my family's text thread and back it up for safe keeping, which is what I was up to over the weekend.  Download all the pictures and re-read everything.  I didn't get through this entire last year, only making it from the beginning of November to the end of this past March.

It was fascinating.  Emotionally draining.  Some months more active than others.  It was strange literally watching the world close in on us all.  And it brought me back, reliving things I had forgotten.

November was a festive month, mainly for my parents.  They went on a two week cruise in the Pacific, traveling from Hawaii to Tahiti.  It was an epic trip, and they shared all of their fun details.  And then right when they got home my Mom decided she wasn't in the Christmas spirit and off the two of us went to Disneyland.  We're annual pass holders, but it still felt super reckless, but I just can't say no to Disneyland.  In hindsight I'm glad we were spontaneous.

The Holidays were carefree.  Sicknesses were going around, but we were still getting together as a family and going out doing stuff.

It was coming home from Disneyland in early February when the virus made its first mention, us all chatting about the whistle blower dying, and the effect it was causing overseas.  Early March was the toilet paper crises.  Disbelief after Costco running out of toilet paper.  Then Walmart.  And then everywhere else.  Texts of shock and dismay.  And a whole lot of toilet paper memes.  For the record duck tape isn't the end all, fix all.  Don't put it on a toilet paper holder. 

I forgot about the insanity that was my Mom's birthday.  Her's was the first to be impacted by the craziness.  We had bought everything, and then hours before the party three of my nieces, from two households, got sick.  The youngest of the set with a fever.  The party was cancelled, and then the next several hours was spent with my Mom and I making meal kits for everyone, cutting up the cake and putting them on plates, and then visiting everyone to drop them off.  Everyone was well fed during a time of grocery store craziness (we luckily bought everything before the shortages began), and my Mom got to see her family and the grand babes.  Around 10 pm our meal was cooked and we were eating.

Then shortly after that was the SLC earthquake, and just the mental shock that was.  

March was a crazy month.  Dang.  

It was interesting reading everyone's reactions.  Our questions and confusions.  The unknowns. A little debate here and there.  Crazy enough, even after all this time, there are still a lot of questions and opinions we all have.

So I had a very surreal weekend.  It was just strange watching the progression.  In the texts I made a joke on News Years Eve about hindsight being 2020.  Isn't it, though?  Hindsight is 2020.

I still have to backup April till now, which will be a trip to experience, but I'm giving myself a little brake.  Actually kinda not looking forward to it. 

I don't know what to say.  I literally don't know what to write past this point.  Funny enough I was going out more and visiting more stores at the start of all this than I am now.  Masks give me anxiety, so I can only go to places that let me wear my mask under my nose.  So no Disney Store, no flying in planes, no visiting Disneyland when it opens up, even with my pass.  

I did read a funny moment when the lock downs first happened.  Some news stuff was texted, and one of my brothers wrote, "This just got real."  and then I wrote, "That's it.  I didn't make my bed this morning.  I'm going to go restore some order to this world."  And I did.  And I've made my bed everyday.  My room has been remarkably clean all year.  And that's how I'm managing my feelings.  Controlling what I can.

And with that said, I've officially reached three weeks of no sugary treats.  So some things are going right.  Heh, though I got Panda Express last night, and I did eat the fortune cookie because it only has 2 g of sugar, and my bread is that much per slice, and fortunes don't come true unless you eat them, and my fortune was really cool so I had to eat it: "Your talents will earn you the highest status and prestige."  So I ate it, not the paper, the cookie.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment