Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Pokemon Detective Pikachu, mini movie review


Rating: C+

So . . . I finally saw Pokemon Detective Pikachu yesterday, which is how far behind I am with the movies I want to see, and managed to find a theater showing it.  If you haven't seen this new Pokemon movie yet, finding it in the theater will be a challenge, but it might be available on DVD in August, possibly for streaming in July (but don't quote me on this).

Many, many thoughts.

Tim Goodman, played by Justice Smith, once inspired to be a Pokemon trainer when he was a kid, dreams that faded as reality hit, and now he works in insurance.  In a world where pokemon live freely, appearing everywhere, Tim has become jaded.  He gets a message that his father has passed, traveling to Ryme City, a safe haven metropolis where pokemon and humans live in harmony.  It is here that Tim meats a Pikachu, hot on the case, insisting Tim's father is alive.  But what makes this encounter truly remarkable is that Tim and this pikachu can communicate and understand each other.

The Good:

The first half of the movie is really solid.  Great humor.  The introduction into a live action Pokemon world is brilliant.  Seeing Pokemon wander around, marvelous.  The way the filmmakers captured this reality is beyond what I could have imagined.  Really creative and fun.

Tim Goodman is such a great character, and I really like Justice's portrayal of him.  The only solid element in the entire movie.

The first half of the movie really was great.  It makes me want to see more movies in this realm.  The possibilities of so many stories.  I liked the fact that Tim wasn't a Pokemon trainer.  That he was dubious towards Pokemon, led into a World he didn't want any part.  The relationship between Tim and the pikachu detective is really well done.

I know some people were bothered with Ryan Reynolds voicing Pikachu, as all they see is Deadpool, but as I haven't seen that movie (no one should be surprised, though I need to see the PG-13 version (Yes, I'm a prude :P )), the Deadpool relation didn't bother me.

Pikachu really is cute!  And very well animated.

Also, I enjoyed the cinematic score.  A nice balance between orchestration and game electronic type tones.

The Bad:

Pretty much the last half of the movie.

And this is where I hit my typical conundrum where I have to be very cryptic so as not to spoil anything.

I have issues where the plot led, and the real villains ultimate choices regarding humans and Pokemon.  Just the logic behind a certain plot point.  How is this true evolution?  Really?  For him, yes, for others, no.  Doesn't make sense.  And there's flaws in that scene with what happens to him verses others.  And that's all I can say.  I think I just said too much.

Okay, and super cryptic.  So, there's this episode of Full Metal Alchemist.  Don't know if it's in the original series or new one, as there's a remake to resemble the manga (like what's now happening with Fruits Basket).  It's either the 3rd or 4th episode with this girl and a dog, and this girl feels neglected by her father, who is trying to get animals to talk.  And there's this monkey who can talk, and what happened to this guys wife.  So, I can't even outright say what happened in that episode without possibly spoiling the movie, but that episode made me sick.  Like, I was seriously nauseous afterward.  Just thinking of the episode makes me feel ill.  Something in my core rejects it.  And I stopped watching that show.  Couldn't bring myself to finish.

This movie left me feeling the same thing.

Instead of leaving the movie feeling joyous, I left feeling creeped, disgruntled.

Back to the movie as a whole: The first half of the movie was fun and brilliant, the second half a let down.

If you love Pokemon, you might like it.  Don't take my word.  These are just opinions.  You may find the entirety of this movie interesting.  I just wish I liked Pokemon Detective Pikachu more.

MPAA: Rated PG for action/peril, some rude and suggestive humor, and thematic elements.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment