Saturday, June 8, 2019

Aladdin (2019), mini movie review

 

Rating: A-


Not another Disney remake!  Say it ain't so!

There are so many.

I did like Cinderella; thought this retelling was nice and fresh.  But I didn't care for Beauty and the Beast (some merit) or Dumbo.

How were they going to redo Aladdin and make it fresh?  How were they going to make it without the amazing Robin Williams who created a legend out of the genie?  The first trailer came out, and I wasn't digging it.  Wasn't excited.  It wasn't until I saw a sneak peak at Disneyland last April that I thought, "This could be fun."  And actually saw it twice.

The original animation will always hold a special place in my youthful heart.  Those songs were played on repeat back in the 90's.  I used to replay One Jump Ahead on loop and act out all the parts.  Back then it seemed A Whole New World was getting constant airplay and performed in variety shows everywhere.  Those were the days.

This new Aladdin has so much fighting against it, in addition to the giant hill of nostalgia.

Simply put, I loved this new take on Aladdin.

It's just fun.  Pure fun.  A nice mix of old and new.

There's this one scene, a new scene that I don't want to spoil for those who haven't seen it, that had me laughing so hard in the theater.

Is Will Smith, Robin Williams?  No, and he doesn't try to be, making it his own, which is nice.  No one can replace Robin.

The sets are beautiful.  The costumes dazzling.  And song numbers lively. 

The new song Speechless, performed by Naomi Scott who plays Jasmine, is wonderful.  Alan Menken hits it out of the park again.  (Though, I have to add, even though I had a hard time with Beauty and the Beast, Evermore and How Does a Moment Last Forever are amazing songs).

There are aspects of this new movie I have problems with, but I enjoyed the movie so much I'll overlook them.

Also, I realized that this is the kind of movie I can put on for my nieces and nephew at home when it comes to Blu-ray and walk in and out of the room, enjoying a scene here and there.  Maybe people wont see this as a plus, but its nice having movies that can be enjoyed in pieces, though I enjoy the whole as well.

Aladdin is currently my favorite Disney remake, a fun family film.

MPAA: Rated PG for some action/peril.

No comments:

Post a Comment