Monday, June 24, 2019

Toy Story 4, mini movie review

 

Rating: A

When I heard that there was going to be another Toy Story movie I honestly rolled my eyes.  "Seriously? Another one?" I thought, and went about my day unfazed.  A little time later the trailer came out, and I was still not excited.  What could they do more?  Does this story about toys need rehashing?  How is this not going to be a simple repeat, just with a new kid?

Out of obligation I went.  Dragging my feet a little.

Boy did I have fun!

Andy is in college, and the homage he receives is that of nostalgia and background retailing.  Not too much.  Just enough.  Bonnie is the toys new kid, and they're all still wonderfully together, except for Bo Peep, who we haven't seen in quite awhile, but she wasn't Andy's toy, she was his sister's, and out of no where she disappeared.  I felt her loss back when, but moved on.  Bonnie is the focus now, and she's growing up a little.  Not growing out of toys, but entering a new phase in life: Kindergarten.  In order to cope with this transition Bonnie creates a toy out of trash and unknowingly brings it to life.  Forky.  A spork with doodads.  Forky has an identity crises, and in the midst of a road trip there's much insanity mixed with hilarity.

Toy Story 4 is a charming movie filled with warmth.  There's friendship, forgiveness, love, second chances, all the Pixar good stuff.  And plenty of jokes.  Seriously a ton of "laugh out loud" moments with a giggle here and there.

And we finally find out what happens to Bo Peep!  She's doing well.  Real well.  She's tough.  I really love what they did with her character.

There's plenty of new characters mixed in at a steady rate, adding to the story instead of overcrowding.  The new characters are interesting and fun.    One of them has me laughing on the inside right now just thinking about them.  But all the classic characters are there as well, fully utilized: This is their story.

So, without giving too much away, Toy Story 4 is a nice new chapter.  A great family film.  Worth seeing many times. 

MPAA: G

No comments:

Post a Comment