Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Impressions of a Second Visit to Bath, United Kingdom


Last month I was able to visit Bath for a second time, the first being last Autumn.  Crazy, so crazy.  And I do feel very fortunate.  My Mom and I went on many trips this last year, and this trip was our last hurrah.  We decided to visit the UK again, making a stop in Wales before puddle jumping to Ireland.  Bath was our first stop.

We enjoyed Bath so much last time we wanted to visit again.  Logistically it made sense, but I just love the area.

So what did I think after a second visit?  Did it live up to the highs of the first visit?

Yes.

It was different this time around, because it wasn't all new.  It felt familiar.  Homey.  Since we did all the historical stuff last time, this time we wanted to take it in, enjoy the ambience.  There was a quick trip to the Cotswolds, more on that tomorrow, mixed in with wandering.

Last time my Mom and I choose to stay in the Apsley House Hotel, a mile and a half out of city center.  We did so because we wanted to stay in a Georgian historical home.  It was fabulous.  I loved it.  But this time we wanted to stay closer to the center, so I found APEX hotels, which was perfect!  And so close to everything.  Both hotels are nice, and I'm glad we got a contrast of experiences.

Bath.  I love Bath.  I love the feel of the place.  The history.  The architecture.  We did the hop on/hop off bus again, both routes.  Nice overview, noticing different things this time around.  Ate at the charming Pump Room.  It rained a bit while we were there, but that's okay because we brought umbrellas, and it's the UK, it rains.  If you don't get rained on during a UK trip, you're not doing it right. :P

I loved walking around the center just as things were closing, close to the Roman Baths, listening to the street performers.  One afternoon it was a couple of trumpeters.  The next afternoon an Opera singer, her voice resonating off ancient walls.

I'm so glad we went again.  Next time, if we're able to go again, I would like to do day trips to the Stonehenge, Glastonbury, Wells, and Cheddar Gorge, which is close and possible.  My Mom and I wanted to experience the Cotswolds more.

When planning a trip to the UK it's hard to pick where to go as there's so much to see.  London is a must.  Oxford chaotic and interesting.  Chester charming.  York fun but spooky at night.  And the Lake District.  I'd love to stay a week in the Lake District in a cottage just taking it all in.  And there's so much to see in Scotland.  Bagpipe music is so fantastic.  But Bath.  I highly recommend Bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment