Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Sleeping Beauty's Castle Lament: Disneyland's Disappearing Castle Act


Seeing Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland, California, is pure magic.  Maybe a part of that magic is pure nostalgia, but it's part of the Disney Park experience.  Walk through the entrance, read the "Here You Leave Today" plaque over the archway, dance to Hello Dolly, Joplin, or the band, smile at Main Street USA's facade, and then marvel over the Castle.  Like, this is my pattern every time I enter the Disneyland Cali park. (Unless I'm saving time and hop on the monorail, which is sometimes a must).

Before going to the California Disney parks this last weekend I saw pictures of Sleeping Beauty's Castle all boarded up, picture in place, but nothing prepares you to seeing it in person.  I understand the need for repair and updates.  The park needs to stay fresh.  But it's not the same.  Heh, every time I saw the castle I would shake my head and think, "That's sad."

I just feel bad for those who are visiting Disneyland for the first, and possibly last time, due to the expense, and this is the view of the castle they get.

I don't know when the castle's refurbishment started, but the castle is supposed to be back in time for Star Wars Lands soft opening at the end of May.  A lot of the garden parts of the park are boarded up as well; I'm guessing new or freshened up landscaping.

I'm avoiding Disneyland this Summer and will be checking out Star Wars Land this Autumn.  It will still be crazy, but hopefully not as bad.  But seriously, how crazy uncomfortable will the parks be this Summer?  Disneyland is fun, and I don't mind crowds, despite being an introvert, but there is a point where too much is too much.


 Boarded up castle at the end of Main Street USA.



 The backside of the castle.

At least we know Prince Phillip is still vanquishing evil.

Oh, despite the castle being boarded up you can still walk through the castle to get to Fantasyland.  Just walk around the partition towards Fantasy Faire, hugging the wall, and you'll come through the other side next to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.


 The boarded up castle acts as a good theater screen for the firework show.


And a note on the firework show, usually I recommend watching from the central area right in front of the castle.  For this latest show it's best experienced standing in between the stores on Main Street USA.  The projection on the buildings are cool, and they shine colored lights through bubble foam which is a really fun effect.  If the fireworks are canceled due to wind, this part of the show still proceeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment