Thursday, November 2, 2017

The Total Solar Eclipse That Wasn't; Where Future Total Eclipses Will Be


 It's crazy to think the Total Solar eclipse that literally swept the nation happened over two months ago.  I had been looking forward to it since experiencing the annular eclipse near St. George a few years ago.  All these plans were made, solar glasses purchased, but the day before Aug. 21 I got sick and had to bow out.  I was overly sad, to say the least.

Some of my family made the trek up to Idaho to experience totality and had quite the experience, while most of my family ended up staying here in Utah.

 (Photo by Lindsay Stufflebeam)

In Northern Utah we got about 90% totality, and it was still a cool experience.  There was a grayish/blue tint that took over everything outside.  What was really nice was how clear the sky was.  The day before and after we had clouds, but on the 21st the sky was clear and bright.  So bright, which made the 90% totality even more striking as the light dimmed.  Walking through the house was an interesting experience.

The nice thing about Total solar eclipses is that they're not as rare as the media seemed to make us think.

On April 8, 2024 there's going to be a total solar eclipse spanning from Texas to East Canada.

On August 12, 2045 there's going to be another total eclipse spanning the nation, and for that one I currently live in the path of totality.  Who knows what my life will be like, or where I'll be, but still cool.

Technically there's a total solar eclipse every 18 months, granted some of them are in places I won't be able to travel, over the arctic, or over the sea, but there's still quite a few opportunities.

Look at Australia!



There's going to be 4, FOUR, total solar eclipses in a 10 year period, 2028-2038, 5 spots getting it twice, one spot getting it 18 months apart.

One of these days I really want to experience totality.

I really want to see stars in the daytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment