Wednesday, November 8, 2017

THOR: Ragnarok, mini movie review


Rating: B+

When it was announced that the third Thor movie would be about Ragnarok I scratched my head.  What is Ragnarok?  Just searching the term seemed to spoil stuff.  Death! Destruction! The fall of . . . yeah, can't write that without spoiling something.  The question then became who was going to survive the film?  And after all this, as advertising started rolling out, it seemed Thor: Ragnarok was going to be a comedy.  A comedy??!!  Hmmmm.  Curiouser and curiouser.

And, yes, this movie turned out to be quite funny in parts, which made me think Guardians of the Galaxy was being channeled more than what Ragnarok originally meant in both Norse mythology and the comics.  Maybe Marvel felt a darker tone wouldn't serve the movie right?

Now, I love a good comedy.  I honestly laughed quite a bit during Thor: Ragnarok, which was a surprise, making this a great popcorn movie.  Sometimes going to the movies needs to be an escape, and this is a great escape movie.

Thor: Ragnarok, though fun, does seem to be all over the place.  Off on Earth, that Grandmaster world with Hulk, some place with that fire monster, Asgard.  This is probably our last full foray into the World of Thor; I just wish we would have stayed in the world of Thor a little longer.  We don't really get to see a lot of Asgard, and this movie is about the battle over Asgard.

Though, after saying all this, my favorite section in the film was the Dr. Strange segment.  That was great.  Actually, fantastic.  But that's my point!  This is a Thor movie!  Now, I do love seeing all the Marvel crossovers.  This is a large interconnected playing field.  Seeing Iron Man in Spider-Man was fun.  The last Captain American movie felt more like a bonus Avengers movie.  Though I like seeing the extended characters weave in and out, for a stand alone film I feel the focus should be more on the characters in those individual franchises.

I recommend Thor: Ragnarok.  It's really fun for a movie all about death and destruction.  

MPAA: PG-13

No comments:

Post a Comment