Friday, July 18, 2014

Planes Fire & Rescue: Movie Review


Rating: 3.9 out of 5 Stars

Planes: Fire & Rescue is a step above its predecessor Planes, a Disney Toons flick that was released only last year.  Even Cars didn't get a sequel this fast.

But that's okay with me.  I might be in the minority, but I really enjoy these movies that live in the world of Cars.  And my Nieces love them, too.

In this round we meet up again with Dusty, a crop duster turned racer.  He lives in a humble town, but outside those fields Dusty is famous, winning race after race.  Problem arises when Dusty's gears have problems, and while trying to prove he can race, Dusty takes flight only to crash, causing a huge fire and getting the local landing strip closed down.

It's at this point where the movie really soars.  When Dusty begins learning the art of Fire Fighting, flight style.

Usually when a movie throws in a set of new characters it's easy to feel bogged down and lose interest, but in this case I loved these new characters Dusty meets up with.  I like them so much more then Dusty's hometown friends.

And the fire scenes are intense and beautifully animated.

As a kid I first became aware of Fire Fighting Planes and their danger through the movie Always, a 1989 film directed by Steven Spielberg.  (Must watch film, by the way.)  And this movie plays tribute to the brave men who fight fire, saving those they've never met.  Risking their lives.

I went with my Dad, taking my two nieces, and they sat through the whole thing!  Completely engaged with the movie.

I wish more time could have been spent with the new fire fighting characters and their perils.  Planes: Fire & Rescue would have been a stronger movie.

MPAA: Rated PG for action and some peril.

BTW, I LOVE the song that plays during this trailer, which always plays during the film.  I need to download it.  Great song.

No comments:

Post a Comment