Saturday, October 29, 2016

Ghostbusters, mini movie review


Rating: 3.25 stars out of 5.

It's Halloween!!!  And what's Halloween without a ghost movie or two?  Seriously.  Though I did re-watch Hocus Pocus recently so I'm good on the Halloween movie front.

Anywho, on to the review!

I really wanted to love the new Ghostbusters movie.  Just love it.  Look above all the internet hate and give this movie a chance without reservation.  But alas . . . It doesn't help the fact that the 2nd Ghostbusters movie, which came out in 1989, has a special place in my heart.  (Yes, you read that right.  I know everyone loves the '84 original, but I was two when it came out.  Honestly I haven't seen the first in it's entirety.  Gasp! Horror! I know.)  Ghostbusters II is the first PG-13 movie I saw in the theaters. (Adventures in Babysitting is the first PG-13 movie I ever watched).  I was seven, went with my older cousins, and I felt so grownup.  Plus I watched the Ghostbusters cartoon as a kid so I grew up loving the brand.  (By the way, Adventures in Babysitting just got a Disney Channel remake this year.  Yup.)

So Ghostbusters 2016.  I was actually excited for girls to head up the new reboot.  What bothered me was the fact that this turned out to be a full on remake with new characters.  (Just thinking about it sucked all the steam I had in writing this review.  I'm kinda depressed now.)

Really, Honest Trailers take on Ghostbusters sums up a lot of what I feel.  It's worth a watch and a laugh.

The new Ghostbusters isn't that bad, well, I enjoyed it.  My parents enjoyed it.  We laughed.  It's silly and cookie and I didn't feel I wasted my time over it.  Am I going to run out and get the DVD?  Nope.  But it's fun in a "don't take it serious" sort of way.

I wish when all the stars of the original cast made guest appearances they played their characters, but with this being a remake and not an expansion it wouldn't have worked.  Why couldn't this have been an expansion to the already established universe!!  A spin off sequel of sorts would have been so much more fun.

If you're curious check out Ghostbusters.  You may or may not like it, no promises.  Hocus Pocus has held up over the years.

MPAA: Rated PG-13 for supernatural action and some crude humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment