Friday, July 25, 2014

One Pin Down, Many More To Go or The Un-Sporty-ness of Sarah


I'm not sporty.

I'm not sporty at all.

Not even a little bit.

It has something to do with the fact that I'm a mesh up of accident prone mingled with bad luck, tied up with a pretty pink bow, broken bones and glasses to match.

* Cue Sad Music *

I was always the last gal picked during P.E.! (Dodge ball and four square aside.  Four square was the best.) Ashamed!  Despair! The absolute model of pathetic!  Okay, not that bad.  But being the last person picked for the class football/baseball/basketball team has its effect. 

It builds character.

You know, Physical Education was the only subject I participated in that I never won a school assembly award.  Science, arts, English, history, math, leadership, citizenship, home economics, student council, class spirit, etc, but no P.E.  It wasn't for a lack of trying. 

My Parents were both super into sports growing up.  My Mom did tennis, basketball, soft ball, and so forth.  My Dad was on the Cross Country and Track and Field team.

My brothers and I . . . I don't know what happened to us.  

(Oh, I did track and field in Middle School.  Made it to the Talure regionals in the 800 meter race.  Side note, so I've got potential . . . to be more sporty.)

Then there's bowling.

I've got family pedigree in this sport.  My grandparents, back in their youthful marriage days, had personal bowling balls they played with.  That's huge.  Somewhere in the attic there's a box full of bowling trophies my Great-grandpa Rhoads on my Dad's side won.  And my Grandma's sister played professionally.

Anyway, a couple months ago I played after a super long absence.

Want to know how fantastic I did?

I earned 49 points my first game!!!

Forty-Nine Points!!!!

That's not good.

My Mom, equally absent from the sport, earned 134 points.  She got a higher score then the dudes playing next to us.

The second game I earned 87 points.  An almost 100% improvement.

See . . . I've got a little sporty-ness potential . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment