Thursday, July 17, 2014

In Which My Grandpa Flies in a B-29


 Yesterday morning my Grandpa R. got to fly in a B-29.

FiFi, the planes name, is the only operational B-29 in the World.

This occasion was all the more special because my Grandpa was a B-29 Crew Chief during the Korean War.  Back then he was apart of the 15th Air force.


 And he was in Strategic Air Command.


 We watched Strategic Air Command staring James Stewart, all about the B-29, in preparation.

I love classic movies.


 Waiting for the flight.


 Getting debriefed.


 My parents waiting after the flight to take some pictures.


 My Grandpa loved it!  Heh, he was actually pretty nervous, saying over again that "He's too old for this."  There just happened to be a 90 year old WWII vet. who flew as well, who also said "He was too old."  By the end they both had fun.


 My Grandpa with the pilot.


Good times :0)

Funny story: My Grandpa R originally enlisted as a Marine, went through basic training and everything, but when the Korean War started he had an inkling his regiment was going to be shipped out, so to speak, so my Grandpa immediately transferred to the Air Force.  He never heard back from his Marine friends who went over to fight at the start of the war.  

No comments:

Post a Comment