Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Warbreaker, a Fantastic book you can legally get free


"Readers can ALREADY get their books for free; I went to the library often myself as a youth. And yet, I still bought books. I often bought the very books I'd checked out from the library, as I liked them so much I wanted to read them again and loan them out to others. What do I really believe? In resenting libraries and used bookstores because they share my books without any direct profit to me? Or, would I rather look at all of that as free publicity?" ~ Brandon Sanderson

Back when I was still a student at BYU, I started hearing a lot about up-and-coming Fantasy writer Brandon Sanderson.  Of course, back then he lived just down the street from me (he was rooming with some guys who were in my singles ward, though I never understood why Brandon didn't go to the singles ward.  Was he going to the Family ward?  A BYU ward?  I never found out . . . )  Anyway, I heard about his book called Elantris.  I found out the BYU Library was out of the published copy, but his Master Thesis version of Elantris was available for checkout.  Off to the Library I went, and after neglecting my studies I finished the book in no time.  That book still has the single best opening to any book I have ever read.  Brilliant . . . and I later bought it, because I knew my brothers would love to read it.

Then my Brother Steven bought the softcover to Sanderson's Warbreaker.  He read it, Robbie read it, they raved, tried to get me to read it . . . but I kept putting it off.  Last October, a year ago, Steven brought the book into my room and set it on my desk, once again singing the books praise.  Again I neglected.  Then I got a kindle and downloaded the ebook from Amazon . . . and finally read it.

I love the book!  It's so much fun, and creative.  His use of magic through colors is imaginative.  And, as always, Sanderson's able to create vibrant, distinct characters who you quickly fall in love with. 

What's even more amazing is that on Brandon Sanderson's website you can download the book for free as a PDF, and he also has a lot of other free content: Annotations, deleted scenes, and other details.  His entire site has fun interesting stuff to read.

So if you're in need of a good read, give Warbreaker a try.

Sarah

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/portal/Warbreaker

No comments:

Post a Comment