Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Behind the Scenes on "Someone Like You"


Yesterday my brother Steven and I posted a cover of Adele's "Someone Like You" on Youtube. And, in the same fashion as "Payphone," a Maroon 5 cover we did a couple months ago, we put an electronic twist to the arrangement, in good ol' Cerulean Jade style.

Several months ago we considered doing a cover of this song, but changed our minds. In all honesty the song is super depressive. It's a song about a girl who can't move on and is lamenting over a failed romance. Of course, as a girl I understand the sentiment; us women are expert at over analyzing relationships, much to our detriment. And so, when Steven and I were originally working on "Someone Like You" we switched to a more upbeat song. Of course the romantic lamenting is ever present in "Payphone" as well, only it's a little more happy about it.

One day I was talking to my Mom, and she recommended doing a cover of "Someone Like You." After some thought I realized a second go was in order.

From our "Payphone" experience, Steven decided to start working on an electronic track for the arrangement instead of focusing on the piano. The tone automatically changed. Then, as I was working on the characterization, I realized that by singing it differently the song took on a new meaning.

Instead of this song being "I still love you! Notice me!!" it becomes "Yeah, you gave me up. Who says this fling of yours will last." I wanted:

"I hate to turn up out of the blue, uninvited
But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it
I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded
That for me, it isn't over."

To not mean the girl is desperate, but instead shows up to taunt. "For me, it isn't over" means "life, for me, will continue to go on. This isn't the end."

"Don't forget me, I begged, I remember you said
Sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead"

Turns into "Don't forget me, remember what you lost. You'll end up hurting, not me."
I hope you all have given the new cover a listen, and that you enjoyed it. Stay tuned for more music!

Sarah


2 comments:

  1. This has nothing to do with your blog, but I was coloring with my kids the other day and I pulled out a very nice colored pencil and I liked the color so much on paper, I looked at the name, and what do you know, it was Cerulean! :D Made me think of you. Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete