Sunday, October 7, 2012

In which I get to Sing Happy Birthday to Elder Scott

With this being General Conference Weekend (always a big deal for us Latter-Day Saints) I thought I'd share a fun little story.

On November 7th, 2008 I was at a Relief Society retreat with my ward, which was then called the Aspen 12th YSA.  We were staying at the BYU cabins, just up the mountain, like a mile or less, from Sundance Resort.

It was night and we had just finished eating dinner and I was sitting on a coach facing the windows.  Suddenly a car pulled up right next to our cabin, in front of our window in full view.  Three men got out and went to the trunk.  Watching, and recognizing the man in the suit, I shamefully asked the girl next to me if that was Elder Holland.  Then she looked and said, "No, I believe that is Elder Scott."  ( I know!  I should have known!  How can I confuse the Apostles?)  It was him, and this caused all the girls to take notice and look out the window.  Our bishop walked next door and asked if we could meet him, and Elder Scott came right over.

We learned that it was his birthday, and he was staying with his family that night as a celebration.  We sang Happy Birthday to him, and then gave him a famous BYU Mint Brownie.  (I wonder if he ever ate it).  We all got to shake his hand, and we were all amazed at the chance experience.  The next morning Elder Scott was constantly in and out of the cabin with one of his family members, looking at the scenery and walking around.  When us girls were leaving, a few girls walked over and started talking with him.  I could have gone and listened!  But his family was sitting on the porch, and I hate being intrusive (technically he was already being intruded upon, though he's the kind of guy who would never think, nor feel it.  I'm sure he's very used to it.)  So I stood from the distance with another girl and watched.  I so regret that now!!  Oh well, I'm still thankful for the experience :0)

Sarah    

No comments:

Post a Comment