Tuesday, June 5, 2012

First Position: Movie Review


Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

"First Position" is a documentary about six extraordinary young ballet dancers, ages nine to nineteen, who are all competing in the Youth America Grand Prix.  It's one of the most prestigious ballet competitions in the world.  About 5000 audition each year to become one of a couple hundred to perform in New York.  For the younger dancers it's a chance to perfect their art amongst fellow prodigies, for the older it's a chance to earn greatly needed scholarships and professional dance contracts.

The movie is superb.  Extraordinary.  Each of the kids profiled are inspiring.  I spent every moment in awe of their talent and hard work, and a career in ballet is not for the faint of heart.  Every one of the kids mentioned how they are always in pain, but it doesn't matter, dance is their passion.  And you see it in their faces as they dance: Pure joy and radiance.

I love dance shows, particularly "So You Think You Can Dance," but nothing comes close to the excellence I saw last weekend when I watched "First Position."  The documentary made "Dance Moms" look pathetic.

I would see this again in a heartbeat, and I hope it doesn't take too long to come to blu-ray/DVD.     
 
Get out and Dance,
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. LOVE that! I must find that...I have always wanted to be a dancer, but alas, am a bit too tall, and have this accidentally-falling-down-all-the-time problem. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took dance for about 8 years, but it got too expensive. I wanted to be a ballerina so bad! But I don't have the right body or feet. But I love to tap! And there isn't a standard body type for that style of dance:0)

      Delete