Sunday, June 24, 2012

Saratoga Springs Fire

(I took this photo on Friday 6/22/2012)

Last Thursday night, on the way home after snatching a 1/2 off chocolate malt milkshake from Sonic, it was awesome BTW, I looked up at the mountain and saw a line a fire descending towards Saratoga Springs Utah.  I don't know how many fires there's been this season, but I wasn't surprised, and we both wondered if it was a controlled burn to help prevent future fires.  We were wrong. 

Last Friday the fire got within a quarter miles of some homes, which led to a 600 home evacuation, totaling around 2,300 people.  My Dad has an extra class Ham radio license and we were listening to the ARES       
(amateur radio emergency services, we have a very strong group here) communicate as they helped with the evacuation.  It was a bit eerie to hear.

I don't know the current state of the fire, but as of last night it was 30 percent contained, with hopes of it being fully contained by Tuesday.  The homes are now safe and the evacuees were allowed to return home.

Apparently the fire was started by gunshots, mostly by people target shooting.  Several years ago I went across the lake a few times for some target practice, and it's a really popular area for this activity.  But it makes me a little nervous with firework season coming up.  They went on sale yesterday, and all the booths are all over town.  Last year was the first year they allowed aerial fireworks, and on the 4th of July we got an epic 360 degree two hour show.  I hope all is well for the rest of the year.      

(This photo was taken on the same day as previous photo)

Have a great day!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment