Monday, September 13, 2021

Monday Movie Roundup: Free Guy, Reminiscence, Cinderella (2021), and Shang-Chi

Not a classic Monday, but I've seen some movies recently, and thought I'd share some opinions.  There may or may not be spoilers.  These are quick fires.  Probably because it's after midnight, and I decided this could be a fun way to change up my reviews.  I'm watching a few classic movies this week to get ahead.  This whole "roundup" post probably won't happen all that often.  We'll see.

Free Guy

What a fun movie!  Perfect escapism.  Basic story about a video game where an NPC (none playable character) becomes self-aware, and all the problems and or opportunities this may cause.  There's a little Wreck it Ralph flare in it, but the story is original.  I laughed the whole way through, and haven't enjoyed going to the movies this much in a long time.  What a fun diversion, one I'll happily see many times in the future.

Reminiscence

It's got Hugh Jackman, but overall I struggled watching this film.  Just got bored!  It's the first time I wanted to turn off the movie and return to it later, if I remembered to do so.  The premise is interesting:  A future where people can re-enter dreams, living in them as if they're real.  Overall, though, the plot felt convoluted.  I didn't connect to any of the characters.  Ultimately I didn't care what happened to any of them, which is good because the ending was frustrating.  The dialogue felt stilted, feeling like it was trying to be both detective story and western.  Overall it just felt like I was watching a really bad science-fiction novella that shouldn't be published. 

Cinderella (2021)

Don't fix what ain't broke.  Honestly I did enjoy watching this new version of Cinderella.  It meant well in parts.  Like the twist on the Step-mother and sisters.  As soon as I saw the new sister of the prince I literally paused the movie, recited out loud what the changed plot would be, and then watched all my predictions come true.  Magic.  The movie is woke.  Honestly, Ever After, the always amazing remake I re-watch often, and saw in the theater 5 times, was a little woke for it's time, but that movie was clever.  I mean, Leonardo da Vinci as the fairy god mother?  True genius.  Nothing will ever compare.

Shang-Chi

The latest Marvel studios, MCU, film.  Wasn't sure what to think of this movie going into the theater.  Avoided all spoilers, which was a trick.  Worried it might not be good after it got overshadowed by all the Spider Man excitement.  I really enjoyed Shang-Chi!  I mean, it's a martial arts super hero movie, so it's a win right there.  I like the plot, loved the characters, and just got lost in it all.  The underlying story about family was nice as well.  

And that's all for now.  I should look at the movie release schedule, as I'm not entirely sure what's all coming out.  There's probably some heavy hitters finally coming to screen after all the schedule push backs.  

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment