Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Flavor from the Past: The Cherry Icee

This is a nostalgic post.

When I was a kid I remember getting Icee's.  It was a treat, and the only place in town was at the local Kmart.  At the front of the store sat a little booth/cart of sorts, and there you could get Icee's.  Was anything else sold there? No idea, because all I wanted was an Icee.

The past has moved on.  Kmart went out of business in my hometown a loooong time ago.  I just got done looking at a Google map of Porterville in satellite typography mode, and so much is unrecognizable.  Seems like there's been a lot of change in the last 20 years.  I can't figure out where the Kmart even was.  Fractured memories.  And sometimes I wonder if childhood memories can even been trusted.  But I remember that stand.  And I remember how lucky I felt drinking the Icee. 

With all the change, it's just kinda nice drinking the familiar drink.  These days I don't get it at a grocery store but at the movie theater, and super occasionally at Burger King.  Those are the only places I know that sells them.

Now the only trick is to not drink the whole thing before the movie trailers are finished playing.

Sarah

 

No comments:

Post a Comment