Monday, November 23, 2020

#GiveThanks Day 2: The Beauty of Light

Early morning light warms up my room as I start this post.  How often do we stop and realize what a blessing it is to have our sun?  Our universe, this Earth, is so perfectly balanced.  There's a long list of what is needed for life to exist on a planet, one of which is a sun.  Ours is just the right size and distance.  The spinning of the Earth is just the right speed for a balance of warmth and cool, light and darkness.  Everyday the Earth revolves one round, bringing us out of darkness when we're in need of light once more.

Then there's the Eco-biological blessings of light.  Photosynthesis.  The life it brings.  Helping turn carbon-dioxide to oxygen, so we can breath and have clean air.  

There's something magical that comes from lying on the ground in the open air, bathed in light.  It renews our spirit.  It gives us vitamin D.  And it can give us cancer if we don't take the proper precautions, so there's that as well.  That's not a good thing, so I'm thankful for sunscreen, hats, and umbrellas.

But I've been thinking a lot recently about the symbolism of light vs dark, which can be applied to good vs evil.  I'm about to sound pretty cliché, but there's that image of the power of light to push out darkness.  Light a match, that simple flame, and darkness flees.  Darkness cannot stand where light shines.  Where there is no light darkness attacks, infiltrates, and devours.  Once someone turns on a light then darkness cannot remain.

It's interesting how light is an action.  You must willingly, actively bring light.  The match must be lit.  The light bulb turned on.  The sun must be formed to shine.  Darkness is the result of no action towards bringing light.  

And the same goes for us.  We can be a light or succumb to darkness.  It's a choice, one each of us can make.  We can choose, use our agency, and act in a way that brings light to the World.  Love, peace, hope, and kindness.  Though I'm not saying that those that suffer with grief and battle darkness can't, or are not able to have light.

Life is crazy at times.  But I can testify in the power of light and in God's goodness.  There are times when I've sorrowed, prayed, and felt love pour over me in comfort, and the only way to truly explain the feeling is that it felt like I was being bathed in light.  Pure light.  This doesn't happen every time I pray, just a few choice moments here and there, but I am thankful for the times I've been able to feel God's love and peace.  It seems I move through times where I feel really close to heaven vs. very distant.  That ebb and flow.  Times of trial mixed with serenity.  Moments that allow me to keep trying, keep working, and keep exercising faith.

I have no doubt God lives and he is good.  I have no doubt we are his children and this is his World.  I have no doubt in God's love for us.  The sun warms our skin, but God's love warms our soul.

Much love,

Keep the Faith,

Don't give up,

Light shines all around us,

Sarah

(This challenge is inspired by President Nelson's challenge to share Gratitude everyday for a week on social media.)


No comments:

Post a Comment