Sunday, July 8, 2018

Fireworks, A Personal Fly Over, World Cup, and Movies

 
Fireworks

My Mom's best friend from France, Patou (who my Mom and I stayed with in 2016), is visiting for the month.  She flew in a week ago.  We've been taking her on little adventures.  It's so hot!  That's limited some of the things we've done.  But we've taken her to Colonial Days, the movies, Sundance, Gardner Village, and other dodads.

It's nice that she came during the 4th of July celebrations, regardless of the heat.  There's always something going on celebrating the history of this Country.  We didn't go to any major firework show.  Instead my Dad gave my brother Michael and I some money to step out and buy some while dinner was cooking, and we came back with a little stash.

Stadium of Fire, a grand firework/performance show in Provo, was taking place, and before the start of their show there's a flyover with jets from Hill Air Force Base.  Before the jets headed over to Provo they did a couple pass overs around our house.  It was amazing!  Their second circle around came by the left side of our house with a tight turn to out right, the jets low to the ground.  It seemed like the turn happened only a couple blocks away as we saw the top part of the four jets facing us, cockpits and pilots clearly visible.  I'm not describing this well.  They felt closer than any airshow I've been to.  And the rush of sound!  Completely tight circling around us before heading north and then south again.  Definitely something I've never experienced before and probably never will again.  Our own private flyover, close and personal, more amazing than any simple fly over I've experienced at events.  And no, I'm not over exaggerating. I just feel a great lack in writing to express the magnitude of the experience.

Everyone in the surrounding neighborhoods set of fireworks, ground and safe aerials. This year our neighborhood put all of our fireworks in a pile, neighbors down the street bringing lawn chairs, everyone gathered on various lawns, as we put on our own private, but humble firework show.  It was fun.  There were some great fireworks exploding right overhead, and there were some duds, but that's what you get when you buy mystery firework packs.  Several blocks away, in the distance, there are some people who put on a really nice firework show, like a grand final in bunches.  We can see their show through the trees.  Always amazes me.  And someone was shooting fireworks off the top of the mountains!  Pretty sure that's illegal as fire risk is high this year, but it was interesting to see tiny fireworks explode at the top, so minuscule.

World Cup

I've been pretty ambivalent to the World Cup.

I didn't know it was in Russia until I got a drink from McDonald's a couple weeks back and saw the World Cup logo.

With the USA not making the tournament I haven't had much interest in watching, but now that Patou is with us we've been watching the games, and I've been getting into the matches. (Shock/horror).  France against Belgium this coming week?!  That's going to be interesting, though I won't be able to see the match.  Patou doesn't care which one wins as they're both French speaking.  Personally, though I'm a sports dunce and haven't been watching, with what I've seen so far I think Belgium might advance.  We'll see!  And I was really impressed with Croatia during their match with Russia.  I didn't watch England during their match yesterday because there was a family activity I was at, which was really nice.

Movies

I haven't been movie reviewing lately because I haven't really been going to the movies!!  It's strange.  I finally saw the Han Solo movie, which was the film I saw this last week, and I've got quite a few opinions developing.  I'm letting my thoughts stew a little.  Still feeling burned over The Last Jedi.  Stewing only made my opinions worse with that movie.  There are movies I missed in the theater that are out on Blu-ray, and though I have them, I still haven't seen any of those films.  This must be some weird phase I'm going though.

I was going to write more random stuff, but my mind is drawing a blank.  Have a great week!

(BTW, I had to write this post out twice, as the first draft got highlighted white, and blogger doesn't have a way of getting rid of highlight unless you change the color.  Can't there be a "none" option?  really frustrating.  Oh well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment