Saturday, April 30, 2016

Refusing Tea in Japan


One of the hardest, most unexpected things I had to do in Japan was refuse tea.  I didn't know it was costume to offer foreigners free tea, or maybe it was only this one place we visited, because it only happened there, twice.

It was a really cute sweet shop full of wrapped food gifts and little cream puff like cookies.  We found it after eating at Denny's, because it was across the street and we wanted to investigate. 

These really adorable ladies were working there, and one of them came around with a plate with three cups of tea.  It was so sweet!  And she was so excited to give it to us.

The only problem is my brother, sister-in-law, and I are Mormon, and because of this we don't drink tea.  I've never been in a situation like this, and I didn't want to offend, but I also must live what I believe, and so I said, very apologetically, "Ocha o nomimasen.  Gomen nasai, ocha o nomimasen."  "I don't drink tea.  I'm sorry, I don't drink tea."  Over and over again.  She seemed to understand and was very nice, but I felt very bad!

And then, the day before we left, we went to the shop again and another lady was working there, and she brought out tea to us, and once again I explained that we don't drink tea.  "Watashitachi wa ocha o nomimasen."  She seemed to understand, and I can't remember what she asked next, but I understood it, I think, and I explained to them (the other lady from a few days before was there), that "Ashita watashi wa Amerika ni kaerimasu."  "Tomorrow I go back to Amerika."  She repeated "Wakarimasu!" over and over.  I can't remember everything we said, but it was a fun little exchange.

But it really is hard to explain cultural differences, especially when they're religious.

No comments:

Post a Comment